Monday, May 4, 2015

At least we weren't arrested...

As soon Ruby and I got the go-ahead to ride from the vet, I had offers from barn family to go ride - in fact, some of them were just as excited as I was, lol.  After getting together, two of the girls and I decided to go for a short ride Friday evening.

My plan was to lead and ride, the amount of which depended on the length of the ride though I knew I didn't want to do more than 2-3 miles total.  First, I groomed and picked out Ruby's feet, holding that right front for a little longer than normal to make sure she actually had her balance (I can't help but wonder what in the world was going on with her and why it suddenly stopped?), then I tacked Ruby up and put on her reflective gear. Both of the ladies I was riding with are older, so they mounted up using a block at the barn, while I stayed on the ground to shut the barnyard gate and lead Ruby over the roughest part of the road.

I mounted at our usual spot, about a quarter of a mile from the barn.  Ruby felt so good.  She was striding out, easily keeping up with the TWH gelding we were riding with.  Ears perked - she was a happy mare.

The best view in the world
But as the sun sank, Ruby started getting antsy.  We've only ridden at night a few times, and that's always been at the barn.  She was getting looky, not watching where she was putting her feet, and kept trying to break into a trot. 

And then I succumbed to peer pressure...A. had ridden in one of the orange groves that line the street the night before and wanted to get off the road - partially for safety, partially just because.  I normally don't do this kind of thing - I won't even ride on the hiking-only trails, much less trespass on someone's property.  But this night I did.  We turned into the orange grove and continued with our ride.  We were maybe 150 feet into the grove when headlights appeared behind us.  Damn. 

That's when things started to get a little crazy.  As the vehicle got closer, Ruby started acting up - walking sideways and/or backwards, trying to look into her own moving shadow for monsters.  A. started talking to the driver as another vehicle came up behind the first, and I wondered if I would soon be calling my husband to tell him I'd been arrested for trespassing.  I dismounted and attempted to talk to the driver but I had to keep moving Ruby away from the front of the vehicle, which was in serious danger of being crushed by Ruby-ass, ensuring police involvement.  The owners were actually very nice about the whole thing and we apologized (A. was disappointed, I was just embarrassed and relieved) and headed home.

But Ruby would not calm down and I didn't want to have this fight on a road at night, so I had to lead her all the way back home (3/4 of a mile?).  She continued to be a brat and worried as the TWH got further and further ahead of us, even though we had another horse to walk with.  When we arrived at the barnyard, I took her to the arena and we worked for maybe 10 minutes at the walk, rebuilding those rusty connections - what I know we should have done to begin with.  We ended on a good note, and I linimented her right hind before turning her back out.

Saturday I was unable to get out to the barn, but I rode Ruby for about 5 minutes yesterday, just around the barnyard.  She didn't seem sore (yay!) but I linimented her fetlock and put her up for the day.  Slow and steady, slow and steady...

Mustangs update: one of Jennie's proteges and fellow TIP trainers picked up her Extreme Mustang Makeover horse late last week.  I am so excited to see how this boy turns out. He's a beauty, and very bold.  I'll try to get pics next time I'm out there.

Sally has been adopted and seems to love her new person.  I'm so happy for this mare, who has been passed around and passed over so many times.  I hope she's found her forever home and that her adopter continues to share stories and pics with us.  My search for a second horse has been temporarily sidelined as some big changes are in the works for my family later this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment