Thursday, April 30, 2015

Some GOOD News

When I got to the barn this morning, there was a note that a vet (different than the two Ruby has seen previously) was coming out to do some shots for two of the horses.  Given recent developments, I called the vet to see if she could squeeze Ruby in. 

Wouldn't you know it, Ruby suddenly found her balance while the vet was there???  Damn mare...No matter how many times the vet picked up her foot, Ruby was rock solid.  I swear I'm not crazy...

Since she was there and doing a lameness exam anyway, I told her about Ruby's injury, when it happened, and all the other details I could think of.  She started manipulating Ruby's legs and joints, checking for soreness and range of motion, then thoroughly palpated Ruby's weird fetlock knot.  She couldn't find anything that seemed to bother Ruby, so she asked me to trot her out.  She finally said that she could see a tiny hitch in her gait but only when Ruby was trotting directly away - her right hip was dropping just a smidge lower than her left.  She manipulated Ruby's fetlock again and didn't get any negative reaction, so she determined that it wasn't the joint itself that was causing the difference.  We did a nerve block to determine if the hitch was caused by a problem higher up in the leg or back, but her hips moved evenly after the block so it is likely that the hitch and the knot are related.

So, what next?  Because Ruby not only moved out willingly, but also happily (outrunning whoever was trotting her out, sometimes me, sometimes the helper so I could see what the vet was seeing), she suggested that I start riding again, but slowly.  We can trot(!!!) for up to five minutes at a time, but I'll wait a few weeks for that.  I'm to keep Ruby out of deep footing, and no cantering for a while yet.  If she is sore after a ride, give her bute but ride regularly as the vet believes that as Ruby gets back into shape and starts moving more that she will continue to improve.  The vet did recommend fetlock boots, but more so that her fetlock will be protected against her other hoof than for support.  

The vet didn't have the ultrasound machine on her truck or I would have done that as well - I know it probably wouldn't change anything but damn it, I want to know what's causing that knot on her fetlock.  For now I'll see how Ruby does with light riding and if she doesn't do well, I'll have the ultrasound done and go from there.

Why do I feel so much better after this exam?  Because this was an actual, hands-on exam.  It's much easier to trust someone's opinion when they look at your horse for longer than a few minutes - Ruby's exam took around 1.5 hours.  This vet is taking chiropractic classes and is planning to start her own practice sometime in the future - I think I've found our new vet. 

As for a chiro, I had an appointment set up for next week but something (drama) has come up so I'm going to have to reschedule.  Still, I plan to have her seen in the next couple of weeks. 


2 comments:

  1. This made me so happy for you! She sounds like an excellent vet! This is more the type of work-up I'm used to seeing. :)

    Could the remaining knot be a wind puff? Is it soft and squishy? Wind puffs are squishy. They can remain as a painless blemish after the original injury has healed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this exam put my mind at ease. When the first vet diagnosed her, I wasn't sure if I should be impressed or skeptical. Not to say that the first isn't a good vet, he is. And to his credit, she showed all the symptoms of a mild suspensory injury. He was trying to save me $, but what good is money compared to peace of mind? I needed the latter.

      The original knot was hard, but now half of it is squishy and half is hard. This vet is very curious about what it looks like via ultrasound and x-ray, but suggested we only go that route if Ruby starts to have soundness issues with work. I have to admit that I am extremely curious as well, but I'm also hoping that there will be no reason to look.

      Delete