Thursday, May 28, 2015

Ruby update - graphic

Things have been moving right along, and looking worse and worse to my eyes.

The Swat is doing a great job...flies all around, but none dare to get too close

The weird smell has gotten slightly better, but has not gone away.  Vet came out again today and said it looks okay.  The fluid/jelly-filled sacks she has at the bottom of her chest are to be expected but he'll be back tomorrow to re-check for foreign objects in the wound (he was seriously strapped for time today). Ruby seems to be feeling okay - running, grazing, happy to see me - though she is getting tired of all the doctoring.  We still have no idea how she did this - we don't have t-posts and none of the trees have chest-height limbs that she could have run into.

And a happy pic.  This little turtle was discovered during stall-cleaning yesterday.  He was so tiny - if you look, you can see he still has his egg tooth.  I stopped at a pond to release him on the way home. 

Yes, I am one of those people who will stop in the middle of the road, get out, and carry a turtle across it.  Hate me if you want to.

2 comments:

  1. Nope, I have done the exact same thing re: turtles. And I stop for butterflies and lizards on the road too.

    That wound looks scary. If the fluid accumulation at the bottom of her chest continues, she might need a drain placed down there to allow the fluid buildup to escape. Doing that can allow for the original injury to be sutured closed to keep more bacteria/debris from entering. Keep us posted on what the vet says tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too re: drain but those sacks are semi-solid. Only the outer 1/4 inch or so feels like fluid, but I will feel a lot better if he puts in a drain tomorrow. The wound is 3-4 inches deep but only a little bigger around than a dime, which is why he balked at stitching in the first place, I believe, and so we can get medicine in there. I will definitely keep the blog updated through this process - this is uncharted territory for me, scary stuff.

      As for butterflies and lizards, I can usually miss them but I have accidentally hit more than I'd like to admit :( Turtles I can usually see from a distance thankfully.

      Delete