Monday, May 11, 2015

My sanity

Prepare yourself for a touchy-feely post or, possibly, just skip reading this one altogether.

The last six months have been the hardest of my life so far.  And I mean really tough.  Not the usual life-drama: marriage problems, financial issues, etc. - last September, life sucker-punched me in the jaw and the gut at the same time, then kicked me a few times as I lay stunned on the ground.  I had a decision to make, a problem with only two options, both of which would be life-altering not only for me but also for the people I care most about in this world.  I chose the harder-for-me option (which was best for my family) and have been dealing with the consequences of that decision every since.

I haven't kept to myself that I'm a mother.  As such, my kids mean the world to me - I would do nearly anything for them including literally laying down my own life if it ever came to that.  But, it can sometimes be exhausting to put others' needs, wants, and feelings before your own...especially when it is a life-long commitment.

Enter Ruby.  Ruby is the only thing I do for myself.  She's my friend and partner.  She's always happy to see me, she's always willing to try to do what I ask, she comes to me when I call her, let's me love on her and even enjoys it - a big deal for my standoffish mare, and all the more special because I am the only one who is 'allowed' to show her any affection.  She trusts me and I trust her as well.

In short, while my husband is my rock and my kids are my joy, Ruby is my sanity.  She gives me that outlet that I need when things start to get too crazy in my regular life.  No matter how many people come and go in my life, Ruby will be waiting for me tomorrow, nickering as I walk around the corner of the barn.  And when I'm with her, I can focus on just being her leader, partner, and friend with all of my other worries forgotten for a moment.

Have you hugged your horse today?  I have.  And p.s. we started trotting today, and she felt fabulous!  

No comments:

Post a Comment