Saturday, February 7, 2015

Progress

Abby is doing well.  I've been on her twice now.  Each time, I kept short and sweet because the poor thing is terrified to the point that she starts shaking.  The first time, we just practiced mounting and dismounting until she was nearly falling asleep.  The next day, I had Heather come out and lead her around with me riding.  At first, she would stop every few steps, then nearly jump out of her skin when I gave a little squeeze.  She also jumps each time I pet her from the saddle (though we have practiced this ad nauseam with me standing on the mounting block).  I had Heather let go of the lead rope a few times while leading us around but Abby would stop a few steps later, not sure how to proceed.  We'll practice this, then I'll have Heather move to the middle of the pen in the future.  In the meantime, we are also adding obstacles (from the ground) in order to increase her confidence in both her handler and herself.  I ponied her through a few obstacles this morning, then walked her through an empty kiddie pool all by herself.  This was a big deal for her, so we called it day immediately after.

Which brings me to Pony #2.  Miss Ruby.

All dressed up.  I haven't bitten the bullet and added Velcro to the new saddle pad yet, hence the pad underneath to protect her from rubbing.
Ruby started off this morning by ponying Abby through some obstacles and finished off by taking me for a short ride down the road.  Love my girl! And I can't tell you how amazing it was to climb up on a horse without feeling the need to take a deep, calming breath first.  She was a little bit of a butthead coming home (after something rustled in the bushes behind us as the mail truck drove by), and tried to start trotting so I opted to walk her the rest of the way back to the barn.  She is rusty let me tell ya, but that is only to be expected.  I can't wait to start hitting the trails with her regularly again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment