Sunday, February 15, 2015

Bobbing for apples

Just a quickie here, a story that I want to be able to look back at and chuckle.

We had a barn party yesterday.  Nearly everyone that boards at Heather's showed up for good food and good times.  We had a ride through the pastures (I led Abby - she was such a good girl!), an obstacle challenge (again I led Abby through, and even though there were obstacles she'd never seen, she was a rock star), a BBQ, lots and lots of alcohol, and finally, horses bobbing for apples.

Ruby was second in line for the apples.  She'd already seen Storm trying to get an apple, so she seemed to know what was up.  Honestly, I figured that Ruby would give it a shot for a few minutes, then get disgusted with the whole situation.  She walked up, very keen on all of those apples and went for it.  So funny - she seemed to be trying to grab the tiny apple stems, very ladylike, with her lips.  I think she would have had more success if she'd just focused on ONE apple, but she'd try one for 10 seconds, then move on to a more appealing apple for a few seconds, then another.  I couldn't help but laugh at her, and luckily that didn't seem to disrupt her focus.  For 10 or 15 minutes, she tried and tried but just couldn't figure it out.  She did try to bite them a few times but never opened her mouth wide enough to grab them.  Then Ruby stopped, put her face inches in front of mine and stared me in the eye for 20 seconds or so.  I could almost hear what she was saying to me - "Human, what good are you if you can't reach down and grab me an apple?? I compel you to get me an apple!"  I reached into the water and supported an apple for her - Ruby grabbed it and munched on it happily all the way back to her stall.

I wish I'd thought to have someone capture it on camera, but I tend to lack foresight like that.  It's moments like these, when she clearly expresses herself and expects me to understand (she is dumbing it down for me after all), that show me what a special horse I have.  I don't think it's possible for me to ever get this lucky again...which leads me to occasionally consider breeding her.  But it seems irresponsible to breed a rescue horse, and there is no guarantee that a foal of Ruby's would be as amazing as she is - in fact, I would probably do that foal a disservice, expecting awesomeness that he/she may not be able to give.  So, I'll just enjoy our time together, thanking my lucky stars that we found each other. 

And PS - do I even need to mention how great my hubby is, to forgo usual V-day festivities to hang out at the barn.  He's the best :)

2 comments: