Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Abby - soundness issues?

I've been wondering about this for a while, but it became truly apparent today.  Abby may have something going on with her stifles or hips.  I would think it is mostly likely arthritis, considering her age.  This is what has been going on.

Our first round-penning session, I noticed Abby's short, choppy movement.  She seems to move okay at the walk and canter, but her trot looked awful even though she moves evenly.  It just doesn't flow, but I thought it was perhaps just her way of going with those short, little legs.

I have been doing a lot of mounting practice with her (from a mounting block to give her back a break).  A few times, I've had a fellow boarder come out to watch and say, "She's so relaxed she has a hind foot cocked" when I've settled into the saddle.  This seemed odd to me (horse is so scared she is trembling, but has a foot cocked???) and definitely didn't jive with the giraffe head we had going on until very recently...I didn't say anything but I suspected then that she was trying to take pressure off of one of her hinds.

Today, we round-penned again.  It was a very cool morning and geez, was she full of it.  Again, I watched her moving and could see something odd but couldn't pin-point what it was or where it was coming from.  No head-bobbing or limping, it was just that her stride seemed to be shortened even when she was really moving out. 

When she calmed down, I walked her out until she stopped blowing and she seemed to be moving fine.  Heather came over in case I needed help while I mounted up.  I wasn't able to get any forward movement on my own so she came and grabbed the halter to lead Abby around for a few steps.  As soon as Abby moved forward, I knew something was wrong.  It was like she was snatching both of her hind feet forward when it was time to move them.  I climbed down and we both watched her walk.  It is not obvious, but there is something going on here. 

I hope it's only a little arthritis.  I let Jennie know what's going on and I've started Abby on both MSM and B-L.  There is no heat or swelling anywhere that Heather and I can find.  Her feet seem solid.  She's going to get the next two days off, hopefully she'll be moving better by Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment