Thursday, December 25, 2014

Vegas milestone

This morning I took a leap of faith and let Vegas graze in the barnyard with Ruby while my husband and I cleaned their stalls.  When we were done, I fetched Ruby and turned her out.  My husband approached a few minutes later saying that he'd attempted to catch Vegas but she wasn't having it.  I nonchalantly grabbed the halter and walked over to where Vegas was grazing, and just stood there for a five minutes.  Not looking at her, just letting her think about why I was there and giving her the opportunity to leave if that's what she wanted to do.  After a few minutes I spoke to her and walked a few steps closer then stopped.  She stopped grazing, walked over and stuck her head in the halter.  I was ecstatic - this was huge for her.  Sure, she lets me catch her in the round pen and the arena, but really, where is there to go?  She knows that I'm persistent and there is really no way for her to get away in those areas.  Besides that, the grass in the arena and round pen is pathetic right now, while the barnyard grass is nearly ungrazed and (in Ruby's opinion) preferable even over the grass in the pasture.  I'm so very proud of this little red mustang.

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment