Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas-time Chaos

We are all still alive down here, but things are crazy with Christmas this week and finals last week. And the kids being out of school, and the car breaking down, and the truck making a funky noise, argh!

So, I haven't made as much progress with Vegas up to this point as I probably should have.  I plan to put a real saddle on her for the first time tomorrow.  Hopefully a dummy in the saddle the day after Christmas and the first ride beginning of next week.  This is all assuming, of course, that everything goes perfectly.

It's hard to tell but she is supporting most of my weight in this picture.
And Ruby...good God is she getting chunky.  I have cut her feed and hay, so hopefully she'll start slimming down soon.  She is not sure what to think about my spending time with Vegas: she LOVES making ugly mare faces at her and watches us when I'm working with Vegas.  Quick story: the other day I figured it was time to introduce Vegas to a tarp.  I spread it on the ground outside of the round pen with enough room for both me and Vegas to easily pass between tarp and round pen.  I led her out of the round pen, heading to the patience pole.  She spooked at the tarp, even though we weren't close to it, ran into the round pen gate on her left side, then she shot forward a few steps.  As a +1 for Vegas, she didn't step on me, bump me, etc. Ruby saw this whole episode, because she grazes in the barn yard while I'm working with Vegas.  A few minutes later, I put Vegas back into the round pen and Ruby sauntered over and walked across the tarp two or three times, then started grazing with her back feet still on the tarp.  It was almost like Ruby was showing off.  I didn't get to the tarp that day, so I packed it up afterwards.  Today when Vegas and I finally got around to working with the tarp, she sniffed and walked over it like she'd done it hundreds of times before. So, if needed in the future for a really tough-for-Vegas exercise, I will use Ruby to show Vegas that everything really is okay.

And a quick PS.  Does anything make you appreciate your own horse more than handling someone else's?  When I'm done with Vegas, it's always nice to spend some time with Ruby afterwards - she's like a breath of fresh air.  Vegas will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment