Sunday, December 7, 2014

Moonlit Ride

Early yesterday afternoon, some of the girls at the barn started texting about a group night ride.  According to the vet I can ride Ruby now at a walk and I was really jonesing for some saddle time, so I said if they could wait until 8 or so, I would be willing. 

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty nervous.  The only time I've ridden at night was in a lit arena with Karma - and every unlit area was one to be feared according to Karma.  I couldn't blame her for that, considering I couldn't see into the unlit corners of the arena either.  I also think I might have slight night blindness, but that could just be my own paranoia.  Compounding on this are the facts that Ruby is recuperating and hadn't been ridden in nearly three weeks.  But the plan was to ride in one of the pastures and it felt right, so I went with it.

On the way to the barn, I drove through a downpour and figured the ride was done, but it was totally dry at the barn and the sky was nearly clear when I pulled up. 

That's right, grainy iPhone pics.  You know you like it.
Due to the rain in other places, only one other person made it out for the ride but that was okay.  It made things less complicated and I haven't seen Lee in months now so it was good to catch up. 

More grainy goodness - do NOT embiggen, unless you like headaches.
Ruby was feeling pretty special, I must say.  Getting groomed and tacked up in front of everyone, then getting hay while we waited for Lee to arrive.  She was giving every horse that dared look over their stall door the stink eye - don't get your hopes up fellas, she's not interested in sharing even a scrap of hay unless you are Candy and then only when we're out somewhere :)

Lee arrived and we started discussing our deep womanly thoughts and feelings and experiences while riding around.  Ruby was really great for the first loop around the pasture...then we dared to ride right by the gate back to the barn.  She did her little stutter - slight pause with a bending of her body back the way she thinks we're supposed to go.  When I said no, we started having some issues.  She was mad...at Copa (Lee's horse).  Twice now, Ruby has done this.  Always with a gelding that she suddenly decides (because she's pissed at me) is no longer allowed in her pasture.  She snaked her head at him a few times and even lunged at him twice, crazy mare.  She doesn't try hard to connect, she just blusters at them - maybe because she's mad and feels like she can't take it out on me?  Don't worry, she does get fussed at and it will be fixed. 

She realized that we weren't going back to the barn, and she wasn't being allowed to intimidate Copa, so the 'I wanna trot NOW' started *sigh*.  This was the worst part of the ride.  She'd listen to half-halts...until I stopped giving them, then it was TROT a step until I half-halted her again.   Every stride.  Then I started one-rein stops but without much gusto (didn't want her to get hurt) so she would stop and give her head, and then try again as soon as she was released.  Then we did some backing and she decided she could stand quietly so Lee and I just let the horses graze for a bit while we talked about life.  It was short and nice, and it was great to be on my own pony!  She didn't stumble once, there were no spooks, etc.  Today, she had no swelling or heat and was moving well, so the ride seemed to be good for her too.

No comments:

Post a Comment