Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pulled suspensory ligament *sigh*

Not as bad as torn, thankfully.  I believe the initial injury may have occurred this past spring when Ruby fell in the trailer.  I had a vet come out and look her over but was unable to find any heat or swelling, or even pinpoint exactly where she was lame.  General consensus was that she had pulled a muscle or two, rest.

Ruby got 6 or 8 weeks off during that time.  I gave her an extra few weeks after she was obviously sound, as extra insurance against getting re-injured.  I noticed that she had developed a hard spot on the inside of her right hind fetlock; had a vet take a look and was told that as long as it wasn't bothering her, don't worry about it...*sigh*

Fast forward to today.  Another vet was coming out to look at one of our senior residents so I texted him and asked if he'd examine Ruby when he was here.  I palpated her fetlock this morning before he arrived.  The swelling was the same as yesterday afternoon, localized to the one spot, faintly warm, not sore until you palpated the opposite side of her fetlock.  She walked and trotted out sound so I was hopeful this wasn't serious. 

Wrong.  True that it could be worse, but it is most definitely serious.  Vet said at least two weeks off from riding, then I can ride at a walk but no faster for six months.  If she takes a lame step at any time get off.  Support boots for turn out (since she was SPRY this morning, geez), liniment, bute to decrease swelling for the next week, joint supplement, re-evaluate for soundness for endurance in six months. 

It's going to be a long six months.

2 comments:

  1. Dammit! I saw your previous post last night and was thinking about you and Ruby today. I'm so sorry Melissa. :( Did he do an ultrasound too, or diagnose by physical exam only? At least you caught it early and she can still be turned out. I did the strict stall rest for Lily's annular ligament strain last year and she was going nuts. It seems like forever but the time will go faster than you think! And if she is sound for a couple of months, you can always have the vet reassess sooner. My vet rechecked Lily every other month until she was completely sound, and she got cleared a month early. Sending healing thoughts Ruby's way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Saiph. The vet did an examination only, I'll have to haul her to another vet for an ultrasound. I was thinking that I'd like to have her ultrasounded before putting her back to work next summer. I read about Lily's stall rest and Ruby would probably go just as (understandably) crazy, yikes.

      She seemed completely sound this morning (lovely, floaty trot during exam). She is hating her support boots, which I find amusing. As for the vet, he's one of the most respected vets around (been practicing nearly 40 years), but what he advised doesn't seem to be the norm for this type of injury. I don't know if it's because he thinks it is mild, or...? One thing he was very adamant about was a joint supplement from Vet Kare. He says it's the best on the market, and also the cheapest, but they don't have a website. I'll have to call them tomorrow and order it.

      Delete