Saturday, November 22, 2014

November's 10 Questions

Courtesy of Viva Carlos, though I saw it thanks to Saiph.

1. Have you ever owned a horse?
Yes, two.  My first was a 4-year-old Standie/Morgan cross mare named Karma.  I was a completely green rider, Karma was a super-green horse with a heart of gold. She took care of me.  I met Miss Ruby late last year, but she didn't come home with me until this past January.  Again, I got ridiculously lucky, as Miss Ruby also has a heart of gold!

2. What is the favorite aspect of your discipline? 
My only real discipline right now is trail riding, though I aspire to be more.  I would have to say that my favorite aspect is the time spent exploring on the back of my horse.

3. What pet peeves do you have concerning your discipline?
If I had to name something, I guess it would be that there are some (definitely not all!) recreational trail riders who don't put the health and comfort of their horse as their first priority.  Some don't seem to care if their saddle doesn't fit, their horses' hooves are cracked and need trimming, or want to make any attempt to help their horse to carry them down the trail more easily.  Some don't seem to want to educate themselves on how to better care for their horse.


4. Do you do barn chores?
Every single day, couldn't afford a pony if I didn't.  But, I love the fact that it means that I need to be out there every day.


5.  What is your least favorite barn chore?
Cleaning a stall in which the horse has pounded the manure into tiny little chunks that are dispersed throughout the entire stall.  *cough* Ruby *cough*


6. What do you consider to be the worst vice in a horse? 
In my limited experience, I would have to say a horse that charges.  I've had three separate horses try to run me down.  Two learned their lesson: the first, I side-stepped her and grabbed her forelock as she went by and held on.  I don't condone this behavior but when something scares me, I morph into an angry psycho and I just reacted.  It didn't take her long to stop and stand still to be haltered.  Ruby also tried to run me down, but that time I happened to have a whip.  When she turned towards me (and I saw her eye get that glint in it), I smacked the ground in front of me hard two or three times.  She ended up forcing my hand, and I had to smack her across the nose to get her to turn.  The other was a friend's (truly mean-spirited) gelding.  He was staying in my pasture for a week and I was leaned over inspecting a scrape on his leg when he started coming towards me.  I was standing on his left, my head towards his rear, bent over (but not squatting down, thank God!) checking his leg.  His left shoulder bumped me, so I stood up and he turned his chest full on towards me and started charging me.  I was pushing off of his chest with every stride, while his front feet were hitting my shins, scraping down my legs and landing on top of my feet and toes.  I was barely able to keep snatching my feet back out from under his.  He probably took 4-5 strides before he turned away.  I collapsed to the ground, I couldn't even stand up to crawl through the fence boards, I had to roll under.  My husband saw everything and had run over to the fence; maybe his running towards us made the horse turn away.  He helped me into the house and I had to beg him not to get his gun.  Instead, he called my friend and had the horse hauled off that day.  Some of the bones in my feet were broken but it could have been soooo much worse.  My guardian angel works some serious overtime.

7.  What is your favorite brand of saddle?  
I can't say that I have a favorite brand really, as I have not tried enough saddles.  I do love my Sensation though.


8.  Do you ride in a quarter sheet in the winter? 
Um, Florida, so no need :)

9.  Does your horse wear boots?  What kind?
For leg boots, she has some SMBs for her hinds.  For hoof boots, we have a pair of Easyboot Gloves for her fronts.


10.  Full-seat or knee-patch breeches? 
I've only ever tried knee-patch. 

2 comments:

  1. #6 is terrifying! OMG! Had he ever done that with your friend? I'm glad that overall you were okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Saiph. I don't believe he's ever tried to run my friend down, but he had done other things in the past. He's bucked her off many, many times, once landing her in the hospital with broken ribs and a nasty concussion - he started bucking as she was mounting. He's just one of those horses...Supposedly his sire has a nasty disposition that he seems to have inherited. He seems to be calming down some now that he's in his mid to late teens.

      Delete