Sunday, November 23, 2014

Exciting new development

When Ruby was diagnosed, I began wondering what I was going to do with all of my horse-focused energies.  I was also concerned with the lack or riding of time, and falling out of riding shape while she's down and out. 

A few days ago, a stall opened up at my boarding barn.  Hmmm.  I started thinking that maybe I could foster a rescue while Ruby heals up; it would keep me occupied and not so focused on the what-ifs of her condition.  I contacted Jennie and let her know what I was thinking, asked her if the rescue would pay for the horse's expenses and if she has a horse that she thinks I could help.

Her answer was a resounding yes.  She currently has three: one unbroke, shy mustang gelding, one 18-year-old Choctaw pony that is said to be broke, one 7-8 year old Nevada mustang mare that was said to have been broke at one time.

I said no to the gelding, as other people will be feeding and turning out - I cannot take a chance that the horse will panic and hurt someone (well, anymore of a chance than usual, I suppose!).  Jennie decided that she would like for me to try the Nevada mare.

Vegas, as the mare is named, is a beautiful red dun.  She came in pregnant and with a 7-month-old filly by her side.  A few months later, she miscarried.  Not long after, she had a potential adopter but that fell through when Jennie was unable to raise the funds to have her put into training.  Her current foster is too timid to try training her.  She's hard to catch, halter-broke, good with grooming and picking up feet.  Ugh, I'm both excited and nervous.

So, Vegas will be here in a week or two.  Fingers crossed that everything goes well. 

2 comments:

  1. That is so exciting! I've been day dreaming about adopting a mustang, but don't have access to a BLM-approved facility at the moment. I can't wait to read about your work with this mare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail, I'm excited too. I'm reasonably sure that I can get her going under saddle but I am going to take it really slow. If I can get her going, then Jennie can put some fine-tuning on her and she'll get adopted in no time. I'm sure it's going to be hard to say goodbye though.

      Delete