Friday, October 24, 2014

Slowly making progress

I've been trying to ride every day in the hopes of getting a jump on the muscle memory that's going to help me help Ruby lug me down the trail.  We have had some success, as evidenced by the saddle still being centered at the end of our rides. It's a work in progress though, and requires concentration on my part. 

This morning was the first trail ride we've done since my lesson on Saturday.  We trotted as much as Candy (trail buddy) could, which ended up not being much due to her being a touch tender-footed.  Ruby tried her kicking-out trick at the beginning but it was only once and half-hearted.  I grumbled at her and that was that.   Again, it took her about a mile to get into the groove, after which she was golden. Trotting through the woods at her medium trot (in which we could zoom through the twists and turns) was much more fun than flying to the turn, walking through the turn, flying to the next turn.  According to the two apps I use, we were trotting at around 9 mph, which sounds about right. 

I no longer think that we'll make it to any real rides this ride season - I have too much to work on with my riding and feel that asking Ruby to carry me 25 miles before I fix myself is not fair.  In a way, this really sucks but it'll be better for us both in the long run.  In the meantime, there are lots of little fun shows coming up and everyone is coming out of their heat-induced coma (and therefore wanting to ride), so we'll still be training and having fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment