Sunday, October 5, 2014

Endurance 101

I purchased the Kindle version of Endurance 101 earlier this week.  I've been slacking on buying it mostly because I didn't know if it would have any helpful information for someone who's been researching and reading about the sport of endurance for years.  This was my thinking: I am at the point where I have a lot of book knowledge on the sport, and now I need actual hands-on experience.  I decided to go ahead and try it for a few reasons.  First, I already know that I like Aarene's style of writing because I follow her blog.  Second, it's only $10.  And third, I'm happy to help support other endurance riders in any way I can.

I am ecstatic to report that I actually learned a lot from this book.  She gives camping tips and explains what to expect before, during, and after the ride.  She goes into how to condition your horse based on your horse's current level of fitness.  There is helpful advice on how to train your horse for the trot-out, based on their personality.  Unwritten ride camp rules.  And, I love the Bad-Idea Fairy.  I can't help but wonder how many BIF dopplegangers that endurance riders and ride managers have seen over the years.  Aarene also goes into how to take care of your horse after the ride.  This is the practical 'boring' stuff that many bloggers don't write about. Partially because they are just relieved to make it through the ride, partially because they're so exhausted afterwards.

Anyway, if you've been on the fence about whether to buy this book, don't be.  It's a very easy read and I'm sure you will find some nuggets of information inside that will help you to successfully condition for and complete your first few rides.  

1 comment:

  1. I really loved Endurance 101! I bought the hard copy and read the entire thing from cover to cover in a few days. Aarene's writing style is so easygoing, it feels like she's having a conversation with you. It's such a friendly, inviting book on this sport! I couldn't stop laughing over the Bad Idea Fairy!

    ReplyDelete