Wednesday, October 29, 2014

First conditioning ride, sort of

I'm loathe to call it that because it was so ridiculously short, but that's what it amounts to.  No laughs now - it was only 3.5 miles.

For the last few days or so, I've been wrestling with myself over the fact that riding alone at Marshall Hampton was starting to become something that I dread doing...This is where the whole kicking-out, threatening to buck thing started and there's even an exact spot on the trail where it begins.  Ruby's never been a work-shirker before but I have looked exhaustively for another option.  The only things I haven't done are x-rays or chiropractor (seeing a chiropractor is on my list) but considering the circumstances under which this happens, I'm leaning towards the fact that it is just attitude.

I'm not so much afraid that Ruby's going to hurt me, I'm worried that I'm going to ruin her - yes, I can be a bit of a drama queen.  Anyway, this morning I decided to just suck it up already.  But I did take some precautions to, hopefully, put myself on the winning side.

Before loading Ruby this morning, I round-penned her for a bit.  Just to make sure that she was in a cooperative mood and moving out freely.  I packed a lunge line, a whip, and my crop in the trailer.  Even though it seemed like overkill, I planned to lunge her again the parking area before our ride.

When I got to MH, there were seven or eight cop cars in the parking area.  I debated whether to keep driving at that point, honestly, but there was no police tape across the entrance so I pulled up to the trailer parking gate.  By this point, I had attracted the attention of a lady cop so I asked if there was something crazy going on (dead body, meth lab, dire wolf sighting).  She stated that they were just training (with K-9s), so I asked if it would be a problem if I rode.  She walked off to ask her supervisor while I unlocked the gate and explained that I would have to enter the parking area to turn around.   Lady cop walked back over and said it would be fine to ride, but I would need to wait a bit.  They'd just laid a track for the dogs.  No problem.

I left Ruby in the trailer for 10 minutes or so (much to her dismay) while I watched and debated whether to take cell phone pics of them and their cars.  Ultimately, I decided not to be 'that guy' and unloaded Ruby.  She was all excited, not even nibbling her hay while tacking up - things were not boding well for our ride.  I pulled out the lunge line and worked on getting her brain back for 10 minutes or so.  It took that long before she would willingly walk; before that she was all blow, snort, TROT!

After she settled down I grabbed my helmet and led her over to the picnic table - my usual mounting block.  I asked the officers if they minded if I used the table to climb on, they said no and then they all got up.  I laughted and told them they didn't have to move, Ruby only pretends to be a fire-breathing dragon, then I lined her up and mounted up.  We rode around in the parking area for a while, and I got the okay to head out when the blood hound pup came back from the field.

Ruby was surprisingly good while heading towards the trail head - usually I have to use a lot of leg to keep her going forward.

Trail head, a perfect panther trap according to Miss Ruby
We got through the first little section of woods with only a back-foot tap dance at something in the bushes, and entered the second wooded section of woods.   Coming out of these woods, you can choose to go left around the lake, or right.  Ruby always wants to go left, and to the right is her little fit-throwing spot.  She tried to duck to the left so I kicked her up into a trot to the right and we made it through with no fit, success!  We kept trotting until she asked to walk.  It really is a beautiful little trail, I just wish it was longer and had water.  Unfortunately there is no safe way to get to the edge of the lake for a drink as the ground drops very sharply down to the water's edge.  Ruby and I went our usual route through the woods.  I'll have to get a picture of the lake next time.

Between the two main wooded areas.  Flat, dry, and surprisingly devoid of palmettos. 


Love
 


Ruby was asking to walk a lot more than I thought she would, especially because she wasn't blowing or acting worn out.  When she'd ask to walk, I'd encourage her to trot for another 30 seconds or so, then ask for a walk.  I hate to be a hard ass, but considering what's been going on lately this is how it's going to be for a while.  After a short break, I would ask for trot again and she'd go without a fuss.

Nothing exciting happened on trail until we caught up with a hiker.  Ruby gave me her 'oh no' stop a few times because she could hear him long before she could see him.  After he came into view, we walked for a while then I asked if he'd mind if we passed.  He politely stepped off trail and we trotted by. 

By the time we got back to the trailer, all of the police officers had left.  And as soon as I tied her, Ruby peed, which I imagine is why she kept wanting to take so many walk breaks. 

All in all, we had a very good ride.  No spooks, no attitude, and she seemed to enjoy herself.  It looks like I'll be lunging her before solo rides for the next few weeks or so until we're over this little hump. 

2 comments:

  1. Yeppers...sounds like a little attitude especially that she wanted to melt down when you said zig and she said zag. Journey likes to pull stunts. Another approach is to work "her" leg of the trail much harder, and "your" leg of the trail in a much more pleasant way. But sounds like you owned it to me :)

    ReplyDelete