Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Continuing Education

Ruby's resigned face
Today, my whole goal was to continue to build on Ruby's foundation.  We rode in the larger arena with Heather and Candy. We did a ton of walking circles and figure-8s of different sizes, as well as walking over poles and trotting.  I will be ecstatic when I finally have steering and trotting at the same time!  We had a moment when Ruby thought about fighting with me, but I made my point and we continued the ride.   I rode until I felt I was getting decent circles as well as a good attitude, then called it a day.  I almost felt bad for her later on - when she yawned a few times while I was chatting with Heather.  But then she got really perky when I came around the barn with her hay, so I got over it pretty fast.  All in all, it was a good day and I think we made some headway.

I took pictures of her back after the ride - the sweat marks looked nice and even, with a dry channel down the spine.  However, when I went to look at the pics later, I noticed that there's a lighter mark high up on her withers only on the right side.  I did not notice this mark when checking her back after the ride and it was not there when I looked at her in the stall.  I checked the saddle and pad (Sensation Hybrid + Equipedic) and there's nothing hard that could make a mark like it.  She has a dip there (lack of muscle), so it may be that the saddle pad isn't touching the skin in that spot; she goes easier to the left and her left side is more muscled up.  I'll check the saddle while it's on her tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

The offending mark is right below the chestnut spot on her withers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment