Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I take it back

Tenoroc is not boring after all.  The trails on the map are...but yesterday we went off-roading.

Originally we (Heather and Lee) planned to ride with a large group, but we were running late.  The older gentleman that we met last week and a friend of his waited for us to arrive, then he led the way.  We had a fantastic ride.  Ruby was fine riding in the front or the back.  She does need to learn to watch her feet better - she would stumble when stepping on a rock wrong (think of stepping on a lego barefoot), which was often.  She got the chance to evil-eye  a soft-shelled turtle on the trail and the opportunity to skitter when some wild pigs ran out of some brush (far) behind us.  I think with more miles and exposure she'll settle in and start to understand that most other animals don't care for horse meat.  I made sure to tell the rest of the group that Ruby was green and was told at the end that she doesn't act like it - I'm proud of my girl :D  Towards the end of the ride, Ruby and Candy kept falling behind the group so we decided to trot to catch up...Ruby is hilarious. She was determined that Candy was NOT going to pass her so she extended her trot - and we were really moving out.  I couldn't help but laugh at her, she's such a fun dork sometimes.  I didn't know until today that when Ruby was really going, Candy was cantering just to keep up.  We fell far behind a couple of times, and trotting to catch up was a blast.  Anyways, the rest of the group may think I'm a little nuts after all of the loud laughing but her attitude about it was killing me.  I did let Candy pass once so Ruby could see that she doesn't necessarily get to set the pace.  Should be fun at the beginning of an endurance ride! We rode a little over 8.5 miles.  At the end, she didn't seem tired but she did seem like she was done with the heat already! https://www.strava.com/activities/145827614

One sweat-soaked pony
Today was a rest day for Ruby, so I popped a bit in her mouth and groomed her, then braided her mane.  It took her a minute to take the bit but there was no fighting this time.  When I removed it, there was no snatching her head away.  She's come a long way already :)

No comments:

Post a Comment