Friday, January 3, 2014

Stuff

So, with things getting more serious as far as Ginger is concerned, I've been really thinking about what I have, what I need, and what I want as far as horsey stuff.  Here is what I have come up with so far.

Feed:
Orchard/alfalfa or timothy/alfalfa hay - about the best we can do around here
Beet pulp (sans molasses)
Great vitamin supplement
Hoof supplement
Probiotic (she sometimes has runny stools, may be taken care of just by removing grain from diet)
Joint supplement

Needs:

Snap-on headstall
Extra rope halter
Extra lead rope
Manure fork
2 small buckets
3 large buckets
Sponge
Horse shampoo
Reflective vest
Reflective wrist/ankle wraps (for horse legs)
Riding gloves
Slow feeder hay net
Baby oil
Large locking trash can (for feed)
Wire brush (for hooves)
Fly spray

Wants:
Extra treeless saddle pad (would like to try HAF) - have an Equipedic that is ok, don't care for the Toklat Woolback
Extra girth
Dressage/English saddle
Nice leather bridle
White saddle blanket (for dressage shows)
Helmet cover
Hair net with bow
Renegade boots (before first 50 mile endurance ride)

Yep, we're looking at a ton of cash here.  I started making this list mid-December and really began wondering what I was doing.  Do we really have this much extra money that I can just throw it away??  It took some soul-searching for me and in-depth discussions with my husband before I decided that yes, we will move forward with this endeavor.  This is the culmination of a 30-year-old dream for me, literally a dream come true.  My husband is completely on board, partially because he is harboring some unwarranted guilt regarding my first horse, partially because he wants to see my dreams realized.  So, this is the deal - if Ginger works out, then Ginger works out.  If not, I'll probably be taking a good long break from horse-shopping and getting some other things done.  I will still be taking lessons though, I just can't give that up if I don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment