Sunday, January 26, 2014

More Ruby

The more I work with and then think about our time together, the more I wonder if she's ever really been broke.  Ruby is supposed to be green-broke.  In my mind, this means she knows steering, walk, trot, whoa.  It's obvious that she's 'saddle-broke' and used to someone sitting on her back, but it's also pretty damn clear that she doesn't know what to do from there.  Jennie did not get to really feel Ruby out during her time there, so we're going on what we were told - I guess we'll never really know.

EDIT: I spoke to Jennie again and Ruby's been 'backyard broke' - throw the saddle on and go.  Aha!

So, we're starting over completely from scratch.  Ruby's doing very well with lunging, including speed control now.  She's no longer nervous and looking for escape, now she's looking for the whoa.  She's giving ok to pressure, and gets better every session.  She's learning that I expect her to at least drop her head for the halter, and also learning that snatching her head out of the halter when being released only means she gets to stand there longer!  And, broke or not, she's not going anywhere.  I really like this mare, and can see us doing great things together. 

PS.  Now that I've decided to change her name, I'm having a hard time thinking of her as Ruby instead of Ginger - gah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment