Friday, January 3, 2014

Ginger

I went to see Ginger again this past Wednesday.  The plan was for me to take her for a test spin.  Unfortunately, it started pouring when we got there, and she was being a bit of a pill, so we only got to work in the round pen.  It's been a few weeks since she's been worked so it took a few minutes but eventually she started to remember that the point is for her to listen and not just zoom around in circles.  When she does listen you can see so much potential in this horse - even the hubby, who at first had the 'you have got to be kidding me face' when I started working with Ginger was digging on her by the time we walked back to the barn.  I tried my saddle on her and it seems to fit her well, though we will have to poke more holes in the breast collar.

Although I didn't get to ride her myself, I did see her ridden a few weeks ago.  The rider said she was very responsive to leg pressure and is light enough to be ridden in a mild snaffle (ETA - Ha!!!).  This weekend, Sunday most likely, I'll be going out for the actual test ride.  If things go well, Ginger will probably be coming home with me later this month.

Plans

For the first I dunno how many months, we'll just be building on her riding education.  I hope to take at least two lessons with Marie every month and really practice in between.  I want to take a year and a half or so to build up to our first 50, but hope to be ready for 25-30 mile LDs (long distance rides) and Competitive Trail Rides (CTRs) by fall.  The following spring, I hope to participate in the annual Florida Cracker Trail ride.  Before our first 50, I would like to do two LDs in a row, to be sure both of us are ready.  On another note, I hope to start showing in some of the small local dressage shows at the introductory level by this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment