Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Trail Riding in Florida

As inhospitable an environment as Florida is for horses, with the heat, humidity and overall wet conditions, I was shocked to find out that this state is in the top five for horse population in the US.  As such, there are a lot of riding opportunities for horse-lovers.  Not having had a horse here as a child, I didn't have the opportunity to explore any of the local trails.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that there at least three riding clubs located in central Florida:

Florida Sport Horse Club - I'm not going to lie, the name threw me.  Perhaps they were once something else, but they are now a trail riding club that has weekly (even through the summer!) group rides.  I have ridden with these folks once, they are a super-friendly and welcoming group.  Emails go out weekly with details for upcoming rides.

Triple B Riding Club - I have not met these folks in person, but they have been extremely friendly through email.  They have a club meeting once a month.  Trail rides average 2-3 month, with things slowing down during the summer.

Florida Trail Blazers - while the website is only updated a few times a year, the club appears to be very active. They claim to be dedicated to the creation and preservation of equestrian trails her in FL.  I haven't emailed these folks yet, but plan to by the end of the week - if for no other reason than to find out if they have monthly meetings, etc.

While there are no trails easily accessible by horseback from my barn, I am lucky that are two places within a 15 minute drive and another within 30 minutes of the barn.  If I want to drive for an hour, there are another four areas to choose from.  Still, I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface.  I plan to get more involved with these clubs if for no other reason than to broaden my and Ruby's horizons.

Freckled- and whiskered-adorableness
On the Ruby front, her rub continues to get better.  I considered riding today but had a pounding headache by the time I got to the barn. I didn't even lunge her, but we did walk over some cross-rails.  Ruby is VERY lazy about picking her feet up for PVC-type poles so I'm considering asking my already over-burdened husband to make a few cavaletti for me.  Why not do it myself?  I am completely worthless when it comes to building things or even using power tools - sad but true.  Besides that, measuring and then making cuts is something that I have never mastered; not just wood but even when it comes to fabric for quilts.  I just suck at that stuff.  The hubs, however, acts like he was born with a Dewalt drill in his hand, so these things fall to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment