Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Feet

I trimmed Ruby's feet this morning and took before and after pics.  For anyone who might come along - I am learning and far from perfect (I already see some things I need to take care of when I go to the barn tomorrow).  Ruby's left rear is very out of whack - her sole seems to be more built up on the inside.  Anyway, without further ado...

Left front before trim:




Holy stretched white line, Batman!

Left front after trim:





Left rear before trim:

The wonky foot.



 

Left rear after trim:


Wonky sole - I took the wall down to the sole in the hopes that the higher side will want to flake out in the future.


Right rear before trim:





Right rear after trim:



I'll be revisting this foot with the rasp tomorrow - I just didn't see the imbalance until I looked at the picture. 

Right front before trim:









Right front after trim:





Things I see - I need to get better at seeing the flares and rasping them off.  I borrowed Heather's hoof knife to trim the frogs but it was too dull, so I'll have to pick up one of my own.  She has quarter cracks on a few feet so I tried to take the quarters down more on those feet.  I need to get better at the mustang roll.  I picked up some Desitin for her heel bulbs today, which should help with the super-soft, pitted tissue.  Finally, she was developing a few toe cracks and has white line stretching all around, so I will be trimming every week or so for a while.  My big fear is that I'm going to get 'rasp-happy' and make her sore.

No comments:

Post a Comment