Monday, July 7, 2014

:(

While trying to rinse Ruby off on Saturday afternoon, I noticed a swollen spot on her right side.  Unfortunately, it was very dark due to the storm so I didn't get a chance to really check it out.  I was semi-hopeful that the swelling was caused by a horse-fly bite, but the location suggested that it was a tack issue - damn. 

Yesterday, I checked it again.  The swelling was mostly gone.  It didn't seem overly sore but I threw some Furazone on it before I left. 

@#$@#$@#!!!!  Definitely a rub *sigh*
This morning, I had the chance to really check it out and ponder what might have caused it.  I threw her saddle pad on - it looks like the rub was caused by the seam of her Equipedic pad.  Sunnuva! So, what the heck happened?  There are a few possibilities.  I was able to tighten her girth (on the left) a hole more than usual on Saturday, so I did but I didn't check to see if I could still get two fingers between her and the girth.  I should have, but got complacent since 'they say' you should really crank the treeless saddles down due to all of the padding.  Or maybe this pad just isn't going to work for her on longer rides.  Saturday's ride wasn't a 'long' ride but it was the farthest that we have gone so far.

Is this why Ruby could not seem to trot a straight line during the ride?  Very likely.  I know she kept looking over her right shoulder - at the time, I thought she was trying to look at Copa or that she was hearing other horses in the woods.  Now I realize that she was trying to tell me something, doh! 

What to do? I know I won't tighten her girth that tight again...ever.  I've also been considering a 'self-centering' girth for quite a while - supposedly with these girths, you don't have to tighten them so much.  I could (and probably will) sew some sheepskin over the seams at the bottom of the saddle pad flaps.  I'm also considering getting a Dixie Midnight pad, which would go under the Equipedic - it should allow her to sweat more freely and may also keep the Equipedic's seam from touching her skin.  If none of these work, I've been wanting to buy a used Haf or Skito pad, but it's a possibility that these may rub her too. Maybe one of the new Toklat Matrix pads?  Gah - I wish there was a place I could go to lay my hands on these pads, I hate buying pricey stuff over the internet!

So, it looks like no riding for me until poor Ruby heals up.  And no longer rides until I get the saddle pad figured out.  But that's ok - it gives us time to work on other things.

My poor mare!  I hate that I didn't recognize that she was trying to tell me it hurt :(

No comments:

Post a Comment