Saturday, October 10, 2015

New Skito


After incessantly checking my email for the last week and a half, I got a shipping notification from Skito on Thursday.  The pad wasn't supposed to arrive until Tuesday, so I put it out of my head.  However, it was waiting for me this afternoon when I returned home from a quick errand - woohoo!

I headed out to the barn as soon as I was finished with some things around the house.  Within 15 minutes of my arrival, when I was still cleaning Ruby's stall, this happened.

Total downpour
One good thing about Florida weather is that it can go from downpour to sunny in just a few minutes.


By the time I was done with Ruby's stall, it had stopped raining.  However, now that the grass was soaked (and slick), no trotting for us.  That's okay, there will be other rides.

I was a terrible blogger and didn't get pics of Ruby all tacked up in her new pad.  Suffice to say that I really like how much more wither clearance this pad has compared to the Equipedic.  I also like that the inserts are beveled, are thinner than the Equipedic's, and are firmer.  The workmanship on it is beautiful, and the color really pops.  I used a longer girth and really slathered on the Chamois Butt'r in her 'armpits', then mounted up.  Ruby seemed to be very comfortable during our 15 minute ride around the barnyard.  In fact, and I feel horrible about this, a few times it seemed she was expecting something (a pinch from the girth?) but when it didn't happen, she hesitated for a fraction of a second, then lengthened her stride.  A few weeks of building her up in the pasture and arena with some road riding, then I hope we'll be able to hit the trails again. 


2 comments:

  1. Huzzah! Very excited for you. Also, thank you for the comparison between the Equipedic and this pad! I love my Skito, but I'd wondered how similar/dissimilar the Equipedics were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very excited too! Just from casual observation, I would say that the Skito seems to be more thoughtfully made. Still, the Equipedic is a good pad - it is now five years old or so, and is still going strong. In Ruby's case, with her crazy withers and needing more back support, I believe the Skito will end up being a better choice for her in the long run. I do worry about the felt underside of the Skito though - it's of a thinner felt than the Equipedic so I don't know if it will last as long.

      Delete