Thursday, October 1, 2015

Fat jeans, skinny jeans

I'm one of those ladies who's weight tends to fluctuate with the seasons.  The reasoning, for me, is that I tend to be much less active during the winter...I hate the cold, and the holidays being during this time doesn't help either (kids mean lots of special baking, and everything has to have proper taste-testing, amiright?).  So, I have slightly different sizes of jeans to wear during the summer/fall versus winter/spring. 

My husband came out to the barn with me yesterday.  He isn't a horse guy, per se, but I'd been talking  about Ruby's recent girthing issues so he came out to give me a fresh set of eyes.  In fact, he had the idea to tack up Ruby in saddle with different girths, then slow-mo record  her while I walked her around.  He wanted to stay very close to her left side (where she rubbed most recently) so we could get a good idea of exactly what was happening.

BTW: I have mentioned a few times that Ruby isn't exactly outgoing and friendly...I am one of the few (maybe the only?) people of whom she approves, the rest are merely tolerated.  Ruby's face while Chris crouched down to walk beside her and directly behind me was a sight to behold, lol.  She did not approve of his creepy behavior at all.  In fact, when I'd tie her to change girths, she would hide her face on whatever side of the post was opposite of Chris and bug her eyes like she could not believe how much she'd just been violated (how's that for anthropomorphizing!).  A few times I had to talk her down...she seemed to be thinking of retaliation towards him a few times while we were walking.

Unfortunately, all vidoes are still on the hub's phone and he's at work, but the problem became glaringly obvious...Ruby needs a longer girth.  Duh.  I swear that sometimes I need to be hit over the head with a mini-bat.  A 'fat girth', if you will, like I sometimes need my fat jeans.  Three of the girths are 18", while I have one that is 22".  Funny how all three of the 18" girths fit differently though, so today I'm going to measure them all. 

The new Skito should be done soon.  It will have the laminated inserts (more support, less squish) and shims, which will probably cause an entirely new set of girthing circumstances so I'll measure her for a new girth when it arrives.  Maybe then we'll be able to get back to riding!

P.S.  I hope that my reference to 'fat jeans' hasn't offended anyone.  Know that while I like to laugh at myself, I am not making light of anyone who is having weight or health issues - the only person I am poking fun at is myself :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, we all have those "DUH" moments! I love when they're simple fixes though! Makes life a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true, but I wish I didn't have so many of these types of moments, lol.

      Delete