Sunday, September 13, 2015

Checking in

We're both alive and well, in fact I rode Ruby for a few minutes today for the first time in, what, months?  She was a very good mare, even though she HATES arena riding, working off of legs and seat to the point that I wasn't using the reins at all towards the end of the ride...until she got bored, of course!  Then we did a short walk down the road, with me leading, and she perked right up - Ruby loves a little adventure.  If the weather cooperates, I'm going to start trying for three short rides a week.  If she stays sound with that, I'll add in a little trotting here and there.  Honestly, though, with the days getting shorter I don't see a whole of exciting stuff happening, except...

Now that it's fall, the horse community is starting to wake up a little bit.  I'm thinking about going to the Pink Your Pony ride again next month, and perhaps participating in a few fun shows here and there.  Jennie is just starting her mustang gelding (a Tevis hopeful), so Ruby and I may go on a few rides with them as she shows him that trails are fun.  But first, it's going to have to dry out some...right now I'm not sure I'd be able to get my truck back out of the barnyard if it was hooked to a trailer.

And so, Ruby and I begin again.  No real plans except to get to know each other under saddle again, maybe have a few low-key adventures, stay sound, and rebuild our partnership.  Feeling cautiously optimistic.

P.S.  Angel went home late last month, and participated in her first show last weekend (halter class).  No ribbons but the fact that she dealt with the crazy show atmosphere without having a meltdown shows definite progress.  Still hoping that she finds her person soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment