Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Creeping indigo

While walking my dog yesterday, I noticed a pretty peach flower growing on a small, unimpressive plant.  It seemed familiar, then it hit me...was that creeping indigo?  Up to that point, I'd only ever seen pictures online.  I turned around and took a closer look - definitely creeping indigo.  It was actually a fairly large plant, spanning an area about 2 feet across, but grew so low to the ground that I didn't realize it's size until I tried to break a piece off of it.


I'm sure many of you have heard of creeping indigo.  If not, you should familiarize yourself with the way that it looks and grows.  It is a non-native plant that can now be found throughout Florida.  As far as I know, it hasn't yet crossed any states lines but it may sometime in the future.  What's so bad about it?  Horses that eat enough of it begin to show evidence of neurological problems but their blood work comes back clear - horses have died before their owners and vets have even figured out what it going on.  There is no standard treatment for horses who have ingested it, and from what I understand, the neurological damage that is done is usually permanent.  Scary stuff.  Read more about creeping indigo here

No comments:

Post a Comment