Friday, September 18, 2015

Shopping

I love shopping for horse stuff (and only horse stuff...I'm weird like that).  Both my birthday and Christmas are coming up, so the buttering-up of hubby has begun.  Wishlist commence!

Skito saddle pad:  Up until now I have used either an Equipedic or a pad made especially for my Sensation saddle. The Sensation pad (actually made by EcoGold) leaves something to be desired...The Equipedic is a good pad - very durable, even during repeated washings, but the inserts are due to be replaced.  I'm using this as a partial excuse to buy a Skito, though I will be buying new inserts for the Equipedic as well.  I know, I know, I'm a terrible person but oh, well.  I like the fact that they expect you to send pictures of your horse so that they can make recommendations on what is needed for your particular animal.  I know that Ruby needs shimming, probably quite extensive shimming after her extended vacay, so this removes the guesswork and stress for me.  I plan to order this weekend - yay!

A new girth: OMG at the girth issues with this mare!  Our rides haven't been much more than 15 minutes, and walking only, but even with applications of both Showsheen and Desitin she still has small rubs!  This is partially because she's so fat that the girth is being pushed into her armpit area, and partially because she is so thin-skinned.  At this point, I'm not really sure what to do.  Neoprene is a no-go as it is the neoprene under the buckles that is causing the issue, but I haven't been able to find a mohair girth with felt buckle guards that gets wider under the sternum and comes in 18" size.  I can find mohair girths with leather guards but haven't seen them under 20" - and I'm not sure if leather is the answer.  I tried a Woolback in the past but the length of the material past the buckles made the girth much too long.  Frustrating.  I have sent a question to the maker of this girth explaining the situation, asking if they make 18" girths, and if the girth would still be returnable if they did make a special 18" girth and it didn't work for Ruby.  We will see.

Fetlock boots: I would want boots that offer support without trapping heat, sand, or burrs.  I would want open-front and lightweight.  I'm not planning to buy any at this time, but am looking at possible options.  This is what I'm thinking (opinions appreciated!!!): if Ruby stays sound, I might want extra support on any LD/endurance rides until I'm sure her leg can handle the distance.  If Ruby doesn't stay sound on her own, maybe fetlock boots would make light riding possible along with a joint supplement, injections, etc.   Then there's the other side of the coin - not wanting them to become a crutch if she doesn't need one, which may lead to an injury in the pasture.  Decisions, decisions.  I need a crystal ball already. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh oh I can help with some of these!

    First though: so happy to see you back and in the saddle with your girl!

    Girth: I hear ya on the girth issues! Despite Gracie's slow weight loss (over the course of a year) she now has all of this extra loose skin around her armpits that has been a nightmare to deal with when it comes to girths, because it means she galls so easily. Some of the options I've looked into:
    - I understand the dubiousness over leather! But if you decide to go with leather, these girths are da bomb. http://totalsaddlefit.com/shoulderreliefgirth/ They are wider in the sternum and cut back away from the elbows to give more room for front leg movement. The dressage girth is the same price as the Etsy girth you're considering, and it does come in 18". :) http://totalsaddlefit.com/shop/shop/shoulder-relief-girth/ They do have a fleece girth cover for it, though it is an additional $90. http://totalsaddlefit.com/shop/shop/girthcover/ I haven't needed the cover yet though.
    - Mohair: I have this girth for Lily and love love love it: http://www.actionridertack.com/Montana-Cincha-Endurance-Girths-Natural-Mohair-p/engendssm.htm Lily had galling issues with her Woolback but this one has worked like a charm, though it did not work for Gracie (for whatever reason, Gracie galls with natural fiber girths. Go figure. She does best in leather or neoprene. Lily is the opposite.) It does come in 18", though the buckle guards are neoprene or leather. *However* you can remove the Montana Cincha girth buckle guard and sub it for this: http://www.ridingwarehouse.com/JMS_Sheepskin_Fleece_Western_Cinch_Ring_Protectors_Pair/descpage-JMSDSCP.html It's meant for a cinch, but it might work.
    For preventing galling, I use Showsheen + Chamois Butt'r (http://www.amazon.com/Chamois-Buttr-Original-8oz-tube/dp/B000HZGTUS). I've been told BodyGlide works really well too; I just already had the Chamois cream. Neither one is greasy.

    For open fronts, horze.com has their Spirit Tendon Boots in all sorts of fun colors for around $30: http://www.horze.com/protection-boots/horze-spirit-tendon-boots/19415.html?color=CBLB
    I also like Eskadrons, which can be found on eBay for reduced prices. The problem with open fronts is that they protect the back and sides of the leg from impact but they don't provide much support, unlike the Professional's Choice SMB boots, which are supposed to provide a sort of sling-like support for the fetlock.

    That said, I was just discussing this with my vet yesterday and she was saying that none of no SMB-type boot can truly provide the kind of support they claim to give: support boots for humans are MUCH thicker and stronger than any equine SMB boot on the market, and we weigh 1/10th of what a horse weighs. So you might not need them at all?

    Fingers and toes crossed for Ruby's full return to soundness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all of the suggestions, Saiph! You are a problem-solving genius! I think I'll give that shoulder-relief girth a try - don't have anything to lose if I can send it back within 30 days (phew!). I have an old Montana Cincha girth (the 20" that ended up pinching the bejeezus out of her last summer), and I have two 18" mohair girths. One has felt guards that aren't attached to the girth, so they slide around which is a little aggravating, while the other widens across the sternum but the neoprene guard is now causing issues. I think I'll hold off on the Etsy folks and give the shoulder-relief girth a shot. Here's hoping it doesn't aggravate her skin, but with the edges being rolled, I would think (hope!) not. If she seems to like it otherwise, I'll just bite the bullet and get the sheepskin cover for it too. It's a bit daunting to think I may have to care for a leather girth though - wouldn't the salt in the sweat cause the leather to dry out/crack?

      As for the boots: I have heard the same thing. I've also read that the trapped heat can weaken the tendons and make them more prone to injury. I know Ruby didn't care for her SMBs, and I didn't either. They held a lot of heat, and her skin couldn't breathe so she had some fungal issues for a while. Ah well, one less thing to spend money on right?

      Delete
    2. Oops, forgot one thing! About the wool buckle cover, that is a great idea. I'm not sure if it would cause too much pressure on her side if I removed the neoprene guards (my saddle is monoflap), but they may fit over the guards. Definitely something to consider though, hmm. I'll look for some Chamois Butt'r too. I've looked around for Body Glide, but no luck.

      Delete
  2. Body Glide! http://www.ridingwarehouse.com/BodyGlide_Anti-Chafe_Balm_Skin_Protectant_45oz/descpage-BGACB.html :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, I ordered Chamois Butt'r! It seemed to have better reviews on Amazon.com, but from cyclists not horseback riders. Dammit!

      Delete
  3. Oh skito! I adore my skito. Highly recommend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very excited about it - 7-10 days seems like forever right now, lol.

      Delete