Friday, June 12, 2015

Re-thinking things

Warning: rambling nonsense ahead...

First, Ruby's wound finally closed up the day before yesterday...then she started developing proud flesh *insert maniacal laughing here as I slowly lose my mind*.  Called the vet and asked for his suggestion; he told me to use Underwoods Medicine and the proud flesh was visibly reduced the next day. Awesome, and one less vet bill for me, woohoo!

Speaking of vet bills, and certain horses, these recent events have hammered into my hard head that it's probably not the best idea to get another horse at this point in time.  Yes, I could afford another horse, but could I afford another horse like Ruby?  Not without scraping the very bottom of the money barrel, which would be highly irresponsible and, let's face it, extremely selfish.  No second horse for me and that's okay.

So, what of endurance?  At this point in time, there's no way to know that Ruby will hold up.  What I do know is that rushing anything will probably result in a spectacular crash-and-burn scenario.  The recent Rolex horse who had to be put down after a re-injury to his suspensory puts this into clear perspective for me.  What am I getting at exactly?

I'm downgrading my goals and temporarily setting even the consideration of certain things aside.  I'm going to bring Ruby back slowly. so. very. slowly.  I'm going to set up regular appointments with the chiro, I'm going to buy some ice boots and use them religiously, I'm going to teach Ruby to carry herself correctly (a first for me, to do this level of training).  Trail rides will be very short and slow, with the only goal to have a happy, sound horse at the end of it.

So we'll be riding, but no long or strenuous rides.  Maybe this winter we'll go to a few poker rides or participate in parades.  I'd like to go to some of the local fun shows; maybe enter some walk-trot equitation or halter classes.  Assuming she stays sound, I'll up the ante in the fall of 2016 (training-level dressage, hunter pace, maybe an intro ride).  If she doesn't, I'll get her fetlock ultrasounded and x-rayed and see what, if anything, can be done then. 

2 comments:

  1. I applaud you for taking it slow and doing what's best for Ruby. It can be oh so hard to do at times! As someone who has had to downgrade goals myself this year, I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd been thinking about you this week, especially today when I had a particularly epic ground work session with Gracie. I was thinking of you the entire time. I came back to realize I never actually commented on this post!

    Just wanted to say: there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking it slow. You don't have anything to lose by taking things one day at a time. I hope with all my heart that your girl stays sound. Even if you decide to nix endurance as a goal, do keep writing! I always enjoy and learn from your posts. <3

    ReplyDelete