Thursday, June 4, 2015

Gag-worthy pics to follow

You have been warned.

Ruby is definitely better, though it doesn't appear that the wound is going to close anytime soon.  Bloody pus continually oozes from it, but the smell has gone away so I'll take it as a good sign.  The flesh at the edge of the wound, and inside the wound, still looks alive and healthy.  Ruby is moving freely, even offering to trot this morning when she was out grazing.

Over the last few days, I noticed something within the wound itself that seemed to be blocking both the water and the Synbiont.  It would move around a bit and didn't seem to be attached (definitely was not tissue) but would not flush out so yesterday I got brave and pulled on it a bit.  Ruby didn't seem to mind so I continued to pull, and pull...and pull.  Until this came out.

Three to four inches of...what?  I have no freaking idea, but it was NASTY.
I flushed the wound with water, and got the syringe to squirt the Synbiont into it.  This morning I pulled out another little gob of gross-ness - looks like it's going to be an everyday thing for a while.

Now, an updated pic of the wound itself.  This is from this morning before doctoring.  Yes, this is better than this past weekend, so it kind of gives you an idea of just how bad things got.


It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but the swelling is almost non-existent compared to before.  Around the wound itself is slightly swollen, and there is still a little swelling below the wound.  The fluid sacks on the bottom of her chest are nearly gone.  I've been cleaning around and below the wound with soap and water in the morning, but the skin below the wound is peeling, probably due to being constantly wet from wound drainage.  I have Desitined the area a few times but it doesn't seem to make much difference as it doesn't last between doctorings.  I meant to get a picture after I got it cleaned up, but totally forgot.  I'll try to get one this afternoon or tomorrow. 

3 comments:

  1. DA FUQ? Glad she's doing better!! But I'm eager to learn what that stuff is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a little research. According to this site: http://www.pilonidal.org/aftercare/drainage.php that stuff is 'exudate'. The fact that it's normal doesn't make it any less disgusting unfortunately.

      Delete
    2. This really wins the award of "Strangest Wound Ever."

      Delete