Saturday, March 7, 2015

Why do I do this to myself?

Warning: rambling nonsense ahead.

Lately, I've been wanting a second horse in a bad way...It probably wouldn't be such an ever-present thought if Ruby was both younger and sound.  Now, Ruby's not old in any sense of the word but with her injury and her age (15 this year), how likely is it at this point that we'll ever complete a 50-mile ride?  Not very likely, so as an analytical and (usually) practical person, my mind is busy trying to make contingency plans. 

I've been watching my FB feed with a little too much fervor, watching for a likely prospect in my price range (which is quite pathetic if I do say so myself).  I'm not set on a breed, though I would prefer: Arabian, Morgan, Appy, Standardbred, mustang or some cross of these breeds.  Other preferences include age (2-8 yo), short (14.2 hands or so), intelligent, sensible, cooperative, forward with great feet, legs and back.  The horse doesn't need to be broke and if it was under four, I'd prefer it not to be backed at all yet.  Mare/gelding doesn't matter too much, and neither does color though I would prefer that the horse not be grey or have a bald face because of the likelihood of sunburn and skin cancer.  A black horse would also be a bad idea, for the horse itself, due to the heat we have in the summer.  If Ruby gets and stays sound, the other horse would need to be steady enough (eventually) to pack my hubby and kids around safely.

Now for the problems: do I really need another horse?  The answer is probably not.  Endurance is my ultimate goal, but I would still be reasonably happy if Ruby was only sound enough for easy trail riding.  Could we afford a second horse?  Yes, though it would definitely cut into our relatively meager 'extra' funds.  Time.  I don't have that much of it, but I seemed to do okay when I was fostering the mustangs...though I can say that I was more tired than usual during that time too.  Money: would I have enough extra cash to actually compete if I got a second horse?  That remains to be seen, but it's unlikely that I'd get out much even if we did - while I LOVE spending money on horse stuff, I also have to deal with a measurable amount of guilt when I do (of my own doing, my hubby never gives me grief about the horses).   

I'm trying to be reasonable and responsible here; looking at all sides, weighing pros and cons.  And Jennie is making it tough, lol.  I mentioned that I was possibly interested in a filly I saw on FB, which may have been a mistake.  She's so excited that I'm considering another horse, and is such an enabler, but I know she will be disappointed if I decide on a horse that isn't a mustang. 

We'll see what happens.   I'm trying hard to stay strong against temptation; I'd like to wait at least a few months, when I have more of an idea what Ruby will be capable of in the future.  In the meantime, I'm watching, planning, and dreaming. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised you're looking! ;) I think the biggest concern with a second horse is the possibility of your main horse ending up being the back-up horse anyway. I bought Gracie because I really liked her personality and of course, the second I thought "This horse has the makings of being a 100-miler horse" she goes and develops arthritis. My recommendation would be, if you do decide to get a 2nd horse, to do as thorough a prepurchase exam as you can afford, definitely with joint flexions at the bare minimum, and with x-rays of the major joints (hocks and knees at least) if you can swing it. For a younger horse under 15 years of age (15 is the cut-off for most equine insurance companies), I sooo recommend insurance. It is so much more affordable than people think, and it is so worth it in the event of major issues requiring surgeries or extended treatment! I recommend Broadstone. I have Lily insured through their Hartford plan for $1200 which means that if she dies, I get $1200. You decide the value of the horse based on the purchase price and training you put into them. Of course the premium goes up as the horse's value goes up, which is why I haven't increased Lily's value. I have her covered for up to $7500 in major medical and surgical with a $300 deductible per incident. After that deductible her insurance will cover anything related to that incident for the next 4 months. I pay $350 a YEAR for all of that, which is so much more affordable than even pet insurance. The catch is that you must pay up front for veterinary expenses, but you get a reimbursement check from the insurance in the mail within days. No hassle at all with filing claims either. I never would have been able to afford Lily's repeated ultrasounds in 2013 if it hadn't been for the insurance. I really, really do recommend for a competition horse, and it is a huge piece of mind!

    And...I'm SUPER excited for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation on the insurance - I will definitely do that! And the x-rays and joint flexion tests too. That's the great thing about getting a horse from Jennie; she would absolutely be willing to have me do all of that and then follow up with a 90-day trial to make sure the horse is a good fit for us. We'll see what she gets in :) As long as I can resist the urge to bid on this filly: https://www.blm.gov/adoptahorse/horse.php?horse_id=7437&mygalleryview=

      She's young, leggy, looks to have nice feet and legs and decent movement and doesn't seem too frantic about being separated from her buddies. No info on her height, but she doesn't look too short or tall compared to the panels...I need someone to talk me down, lol.

      Delete
    2. The excitement of opening yourself up to the idea of a second horse! haha

      I think it is absolutely wonderful that Jennie would let you do a 90-day trial if you choose one of hers! :D That's perfect!

      Delete
    3. Agreed, hopefully the right one comes along!

      Delete