Monday, March 16, 2015

Sally pics

I had plans for a trail ride on a borrowed horse this morning, but that fell through when my riding buddy called and cancelled.  So, what to do?  I made a last minute trip to Jennie's to play with Sally.

Only, Sally doesn't want to be played with.  Right off, she didn't want to be caught...in her stall, for crying out loud.  I worked with her on that for 45 minutes or so (approach, halter on, scratch, halter off).  She wasn't perfect by the time I got bored, but she was better. 

I tied and groomed her but she was weird about holding up her right front.  Because her left front hurts when it's holding all of the weight?  Her left front does look worse that her right front.  I told Jennie that I'll cover the trimming cost next time the farrier comes out.  Maybe I'll take some nippers out there with me the next time I go...even a rough trim to remove excess length would be better than nothing. 

Then I led her to the arena full of obstacles...and she balked.  She did not want to go in there, thank you very much.  When I asked again, she started scooting backwards so I backed her up for 5-10 seconds.  She then decided it was easier to just be led into the arena. 

In the arena, she did very well.  She walked over the 'bridge', around the noodles, and even on the step, but she didn't want anything to do with the house-of-horrors (I really don't know what else to call it). 

One cute pic, that's all I got.  She was standing partway in the house-of-horrors.
In most of the pics I took, she's doing her best 'bored mule' impression.
She walked through the HOH twice, the second time very quietly, so I put her back in her stall.  Observations about Sally: she seems to have an Eeyore-type personality, in that she doesn't seem happy.  She looks and acts healthy just, well, sad...Ulcer?  Painful feet?  Depressed that her 'sister' left about 2 weeks ago?  I don't know.  She is also very stubborn, but doesn't seem afraid, more as if she doesn't like people, so why should she do what you ask? 

The same girl that adopted Abby is considering Sally.  We will see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment