Saturday, March 7, 2015

Finally riding again

But not Ruby.  I've been riding Trigger.


Trigger is a 10-year-old ex-Amish horse.  He's trained to ride and drive.  He's a good boy but also extremely lazy...or maybe it just feels that way compared to the very forward Ruby.  He hasn't been ridden for a while, though he is well-broke...definitely a nice change from unbroke mustangs!

Our first ride was Wednesday, and it was ugly.  He was leaning so hard on my hands that he was pulling me forward out of the saddle, falling into turns (when I could finally get him to turn!), and was blowing slightly after 10 minutes under saddle, mostly walking.  The next day was slightly better, though this time instead of him pulling me forward, I felt like I was falling forward in the saddle.  We did 15 minutes or so, then I untacked him, turned him out, and moved the stirrups forward on my saddle.  Yesterday was so much better.  No leaning on my hands, nice figure-eights at the trot, and no pony-tude when I'd get after him for walking without being told.  He started responding to my seat whereas on the first rides he was completely immune to those cues.  He's definitely worse to the right than the left (exacerbated because this is also my bad side?) and has a tendency to fall into those turns, making them much sharper than I was intending but this was much better yesterday.  We haven't cantered yet, and won't until he's in better shape (and has better balance). 

It is so nice to finally be riding again, especially at a faster pace than a walk.  Trigger's owner is happy to have me riding right now, as she is unable to.  I'm hopeful that I'll get to ride him regularly until Ruby is cleared for real riding.

Speaking of Ruby, I have been working with her regularly.  We hand-walk over poles every other day and have been practicing belly-lifts.  Her topline is already looking a bit better, though it seems a little early to be seeing improvement - it may be more due to the fact that the grass is starting to grow again than our new routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment