Saturday, January 10, 2015

A long overdue update

This pom-pom (terrifying, shimmery, weird-sounding and -feeling, eater of all things equine) touching her face is a huge for her.
Working with and training Vegas is like trying to drive a truck uphill on an ice-covered road.  Every time I get a little closer to my goal, we slide back almost to our starting place.  Then I have to rev the engine to get a little further, only to slide back again.

I understand where she's coming from, but that doesn't make it less frustrating.  She has no real need for people, other than breakfast, dinner, and hay.  She owes us nothing and would much rather not deal with us at all, thank you.

Her skin is clearing up nicely.
Yet, she enjoys attention and scratches.  And is extremely intelligent.  Unfortunately at this time, that intelligence is only used part of the time to figure out what you want - it is generally used to get what Vegas wants...

So much better!  Sorry for the blurriness.
On Sunday, she broke out of her stall again.  Sunday was also the day that I finally saw and spoke with the girl who saw her break out (the 2nd time she broke out).  I was told by another boarder that Vegas had attempted to jump the door, but that isn't what happened.  What this girl told me was that Vegas reared up and put her hooves over the second highest rail on the gate.  She then stepped forward with her back legs until the rail was behind her elbows...then she rocked forcefully back and forth until she'd bent the gate enough that she could step over it.  This shows a level of critical thinking that is unimaginable to me.  Her third stall door/gate was bolted to a piece of plywood and mounted higher (this is the one that met it's demise last Sunday morning).  The plywood was mounted on the inside of the door, but she realized that the door was the same and repeated her escape by breaking the plywood between the 1st and second rails.  At this point, it's probably safe to assume that Vegas is smarter than me.

Getting some muscle!  And I finally got the larger mat worked out of her tail. 
 I cannot explain the frustration that I was feeling on Sunday when I got the phone call.  I messaged Jennie, who said that she had a tall, sturdy stall door that I could pick up, so we made the drive out to her farm.  By the time we got back, Heather and her husband were at the barn stringing up some hotwire for Vegas' stall.  We have (hopefully) built a mustang Alcatraz.  The door is about 5 and a half feet tall.  It has a plastic chain threaded with hotwire on the inside of the door.  The door opens in and there are blocks of wood screwed onto the door jamb to ensure she can't push the door outward.  Unless she figures out how to tear down the entire barn - which I would not put past her at this point.  Btw, I'm pretty sure that I mentioned on before that Vegas is stall-broke.  She was stall-kept at night at Jennie's previous barn, but that barn had the tall, pre-built wood and rail walls and sliding doors.  I foolishly thought her previous experience meant that at least staying in the stall at Heather's barn was a given.

So, this is her last chance to stay here, unfortunately.  I cannot afford to keep replacing stall gates/doors and I definitely can't afford to rebuild Heather's barn if she badly damages it.  Time will tell what happens.

As far as training, we have done no more riding since those last pictures were posted.  Ruby's girth is too long for Vegas so I was borrowing another boarder's girth.  I am waiting for the new girth to show up in the mail so we can resume her training under saddle.

So, we've been focusing on desensitizing, lunging, and tying.  Vegas was doing very well (for her) until the weather got cold.  There are several herds at Heather's barn that are kept separate for various reasons.  Unfortunately, when the weather gets cold, the horses that are normally turned out at night are turned out during the day.  And there really aren't enough pastures to keep everyone separate.  We decided to finally turn Vegas out with the other mares on Thursday for the first time.  We stood at the gate for a while to make sure there wasn't too much craziness; Vegas was very respectful and seemed to integrate into the herd well.

When I went to work with her yesterday morning, we almost had to start from scratch.  She allowed me to catch her in the arena, but only after she thought about it.  When we started lunging, she snatched away from me (she is really good at waiting until I'm changing hands with the line, this is exacerbated by the fact that I also have some residual issues after leaving the military).  I worked with her for a long time, and with a lot of intensity, after that incident and she actually joined up with me.  That was not my goal, but it made me feel like maybe we were getting somewhere.   But when I tied her while cleaning stalls, it was almost as bad as that first day.  Unfortunately, if she was going to get any turnout at all yesterday, she had to be turned out with the mares again when I left.

I'm dreading what kind of monster I'll have on my hands this morning when I pull her out of her stall (assuming that she's still in it, of course!).  If she's an asshole again, she will not be turned out with the other horses for the remainder of her time here.  I talked to Jennie about this and apparently it is a common problem with mustangs; most end up being separated from other horses for at least a few months until they start seeing people as leaders and partners instead of as pests.

Just finished the first round of Sand Clear, then another de-worming next week, the following week more Sand Clear - when will those ribs get covered??? 
So, that's where we are right now.  I'm beyond frustrated and constantly on edge, waiting for her to try something.  I'm hoping that I can stick this out and make some permanent progress with this hard-headed mare.  I truly do enjoy working with her, when she is behaving herself.  It's safe to say that I am way over-horsed at this point, but I'm the only thing Vegas has right now.  Jennie has too many horses in training, and a local mustang adoption event in a few weeks is ensuring that she stays full - so if Vegas has to leave, she'll go back into a holding pattern and everything will have been for nothing.  In the meantime, at least she isn't getting worse. 

5 comments:

  1. The problem with horses that have this kind of temperament combined with above-average intelligence is that it can take a long time for them to learn that they won't always get away with what they want, and it takes constant "winning" of arguments with them so that they'll stop always trying to have the upper hand. :/ The key ends up being that you have to get them to do things they don't want to do and make it seem like it was their idea to begin with. Which isn't always easy. You are doing everything so right, and I'm so frustrated for you. The stall door issue is...there are no words. It takes a really smart, determined horse with absolute self confidence to even come up with a stunt like that. Given her determination and stubbornness, I think it is great that you're just focusing on ground work right now. I hope she comes around for you, for her own sake.

    Regarding her inability to gain weight: have you considered an ulcer supplement? UGard is inexpensive, especially in the powdered form. Another thing to try would be a prebiotic and/or probiotic. I like Ration Plus as a prebiotic and have used it successfully with Lily when I've been concerned about weight loss. Probios is an inexpensive probiotic that you can usually find at most feed stores which I also like.

    Good luck today! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things went much better today, though we had another rough start. Thank you for suggesting that she might have ulcers - it did not even enter my head that she might be having that issue. But it makes sense. She moved, started training, and is basically separated from other horses. I'll pick up some pre/probios and an ulcer supplement on Monday. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad she was better today! And also glad I could help with the suggestion! :D I hope it all helps!

      Delete
  3. I'm catching up on your blog and this might be the first time I've read about Vegas. She sounds wonderful!:) And I mean that. Problem solving is an awesome ability that most domestic horses lack and I find it fascinating (although the stall issue does sound frustrating). Nimo went through a very long stretch of water bucket and trough antics that resulted in me having to replace an endless amount of buckets and water troughs that he would remove from their hangers and holders or climb in and use as his own personal fetch toys. I admit to being virtually clueless about how to work with mustangs but have you read anything by Joe Camp? He's done quite a bit of writing about working with horses, including mustangs and his approach seems reasonable to me. The stall door thing may just be her way of telling you she doesn't want to be in a stall anymore OR it could be what I suspect was going on with Nimo. He viewed each new water bucket holder as a challenge for him. Over time, he stopped messing with the buckets because there are only so many ways to hang a water bucket and I think eventually it wasn't a problem to be solved anymore. Anyway, I hope you won't give up on this lovely made - I know how aggravating it can be to repair the damage (Nimo also went through a fence board breaking phase...), but I think the smart ones are worth it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to Google Joe Camp. I haven't read anything from him, but I have heard of the Soul of a Horse. I will definitely look further into his style, thank you :) And as for Nimo, I didn't realize he was so mischievous, lol! For Vegas, I don't believe it's mischief, I believe it's more that she doesn't see why she should have to stay somewhere she doesn't want to be anymore. I can understand that, but this is her life now and I need to help her adapt to it. It seems like a daunting task some days :)

      As for smart horses, I love that Vegas is so intelligent and am looking forward to the day that she stops using that intelligence to evade and be naughty, lol. She really does try...to a point. At which point, she suddenly decides 'Screw you, I don't have to do what you say. I'm leaving.' Those moments are getting rarer and rarer but she's not trust-worthy yet. She's made me question myself so many times. Made me wonder if I have what it takes to bring her along to the point where someone else will feel that she's worth taking a chance on. But I think we are finally becoming friends of a sort, instead of me just being one of the turn-out and food ladies, so progress is definitely being made. She has issues though - having her stand quietly while tied seems like an impossible goal right now. I'm waiting for the day she thinks to try to untie the ropes with her teeth; it's only a matter of time. But what really stresses me out is the time limit. I hope to have her at least until March 1st, but even that seems like a very short amount of time. I need to have her going reasonably well under saddle by that point, for her sake, but how much progress is really being made if she hasn't yet mastered the basics (like standing tied)? I worry about her future.

      Sorry for the book ;)

      Delete