Saturday, January 31, 2015

A few small updates

Fairly quickly before I head to the barn in the cold (it is a bone-chilling 46 degrees outside...).

Vegas -  Yesterday morning about 8 am, I received a text from Vegas' adopter.  She was saying that Vegas had broken out of her pen that morning before they had a chance to let her out.  She had a scrape on her right hind and would not allow them to lead her back to her pen (where she gets fed and has water).  She was also being difficult about being caught, was calling frantically when she couldn't see their minis, and was being dangerously pushy every time they tried to lead her to the pen.  I told her that it sounded like Vegas was reverting and the behavior needed to be nipped in the bud - I was willing to come out that evening.  We made plans to meet at her place around 5:30 in the evening.

Abby - an 18-year-old pony mustang mare.  Jennie brought her to me for an under-saddle refresher the same day that she picked up Vegas.  She might be 13.2.  She's been with the rescue for over a year now, but without a lot of interest due to her size and age.  In case you're wondering, pony+mare+mustang = stubborness to rival any mule or donkey.  We had our first round-penning session yesterday and I was honestly beginning to wonder if she would rather collapse than yield/submit/join-up/whatever you want to call it.  This was after she threatened to run me over when I went to retrieve her from her stall in the morning.  It took me 15-20 minutes of work to lead her out of the stall safely *sigh*.  Apparently, though broke, Abby has some fear issues under saddle.  I will be attempting to work through those issues in the next 30 days.

Notice that although she is dripping sweat, she still has an attitude. I let her rest for a few minutes anyway because I was worried about her.
After barn chores, Heather and I headed over to Brandon to see the mustangs at the mustang adoption.  They were scraggly, dirty, wild, and scared but there were some beautiful horses there. 

Will finish updating in a bit!

2 comments:

  1. You do such awesome work with these horses. Looking forward to seeing how Abby transforms for you! I hope Vegas's tune-up at her new home went okay.

    I wish I'd known about the mustang group in your area when we lived there! We lived in the Tampa area for 2 years, I helped run a tack shop and rode the jumpers while there, but I never knew of them and didn't think to look: at the time I still had this idea that all mustang-related groups were out west. I would have LOVED to have been a part of that!! So now I get to live vicariously through you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know if they were around or, if they were, as active as they are now. Besides, it sounds like the MD/VA area is horse lover's heaven to me!

      Delete