Sunday, January 25, 2015

A flash in the pan

A nice family came out to see Vegas yesterday morning.  I put her through her paces and she was a total rock star, even though it was windy and spitting rain at us.  I explained to them just how green she is and her quirks.  I told them how special she is and how amazing she is going to be with more time on her.  When they left, I did my chores then messaged Jennie and told her that I thought our meeting went well.  She said that they'd already contacted her and were very interested in adopting Vegas.

Fast forward to yesterday evening, I get a message from Jennie.  They may want to pick Vegas up on Thursday.  All I could think was, 'holy crap, that's really soon!'  They apparently finished the paperwork yesterday and after a property inspection later today, Vegas will be officially adopted. 

It feels like I'm having to return a half-finished book to the library.  I'm not ready for her to go and she's not ready to go, but it seems that our time is up. I've done what I can and she has come a long way but I'm pretty bummed that I won't get to see the final product.  And I'm going to miss her uber-fuzzy face greeting me every morning, wondering what we're doing today. 

So fuzzy!
For the next few days, as long as Vegas can handle it, we're moving into hyper-drive.  I'm going to attempt ground-driving today, as she is not yet making the connection between voice commands on the ground and in the saddle.   It's probably not going to go well at first, as I expect she will take off on me a few times before she starts to understand the concept.  The goal: Vegas walking quietly under saddle, with breaks and steering and no outside help, around the round pen on her own before her people take her home.   Fingers crossed.


No comments:

Post a Comment