Thursday, August 8, 2013

Tuesday's Lesson

I have had 8 lessons with Marie so far, and already my riding has improved dramatically.  I am comfortable trotting, and can even steer and keep the horse going when needs be. 

On Tuesday, I rode Dixie again.  Dixie is a 19-year-old Thoroughbred mare with an Arab-like face.  She belongs to the stable owners who allow Marie to use her for lessons a few times a week.  She doesn't particularly like scritches, but she's an honest horse and I like her.  We tack up and start our warm-up walk around the arena.  Our second time around, I notice Eclipse in the next pasture lying down, not moving.  Dixie saw him about the same time I did.  Poor Dixie - she was convinced that the horse over there was dead and there had to be a monster lurking.  I've never been with her when she spooked before, so I let her stop and look...and look...and loooooook.  Then I asked her to move on.  About that time, Eclipse started moving and Dixie decided maybe it was ok to keep going. 

Our first few minutes of trotting were atrocious.  I was all over the place, on the wrong diagonal, leaning forward, heels up, the works.  Ugggh.  This is what happens when it's been just over a week since you last rode!  We trotted, worked on posting, worked on trotting in two-point (ow), worked on halting at a predetermined spot from a trot.  I kept missing my stopping point by at least one stride - I tend to wait too long to cue the whoa.  Worked on changing direction and dressage-y terms (how to do a 20-meter circle, etc).  My sitting trot was horrible, I was having such a hard time moving with her.  Then Marie gave us a small 'jump course' to do - poles were lying on the ground, but I had to navigate them in a certain order.  Most of the poles were singles, but the second was a set of three.  We were to start in a trot, come out of a corner, go over the first 'jump', cut across the arena to the triple poles, go around two corners, over a pole, cut across the arena for the last pole.  Before getting to the poles, I was to go into two point to simulate an actual jump and allow Dixie to use to her back and neck.  That first triple, poor Dixie hit every pole - guess I didn't give her the reins when I went into two point because I was still trying to collect myself after that last turn.  The next several rounds were pretty good.  She never hit another pole and I was collected enough to do proper two point position as we went over them.  There by the end, my body had remembered how to sit a trot!  And then it was over.  I was absolutely exhausted and exhilarated.  And HOT.  Phew, Florida is awful in the summer especially when you're used to dry California summers.  We rinsed Dixie off for a good 15 minutes but her veins were still visible when we put her in her paddock. 

Things learned during our lesson - shoulders back immediately after two-point, none of this leaning forward stuff.  Hips forward when posting, none of this leaning forward stuff.  Heels down, even when cueing for a turn, none of this leaning stuff.  See a pattern here?  Yeah, me too.  Also, I have got to start working my back muscles in between lessons - my muscles were so sore yesterday from all of the two-point.  But, my two-point position has improved - I wasn't leaning on her neck to keep my balance.  Small improvements, but it's nice to see progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment