Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Insert clever title here

This last week has been so incredibly busy, with trying to get the kids ready for school (started yesterday) and with my Statistics class (kicking my butt!), that I haven't had time to do anything horse-related until yesterday.   I had a lesson scheduled for 10:30, but Marie called me when I was pulling in - the arena was a sloppy mess.  We didn't want to risk it, so we chatted for a bit.  Marie will start teaching at a local college later this week and when that starts, she'll have less time for lessons.  This is going to help her out a lot - right now, when it rains, she basically gets no income for the day.  In Florida, it rains nearly every day during the summer.  I asked if she would need to drop any of her students after her job starts and she said she might have to let a few go that will likely have scheduling issues, but basically she just won't be able to take on any more than she has right now. Then she said she will probably have a hard time keeping her horses ridden so we might be able to work out a half-lease with Eclipse!   I have a total horse-crush on Eclipse.  Considering that my ultimate goal is endurance, I asked how he is on the trails and she said he's great - I figured he would be, he's just that kind of horse. 

Then we started talking about the schooling show this Saturday in Plant City.  I know I'm being ridiculous - I'm not even entered - but I am excited to be included in this little venture.  The plan is to meet Marie up there and help out/hang out/learn something during the day.  She has 5 or 6 students going, should be a fun-filled day.  She also mentioned that if I wear my breeches, I may be able to ride Eclipse in between classes - she's totally spoiling me. 

In the end, we bathed Bounce and Marie lunged Charmont (her big flea-bitten grey gelding) and we agreed to try for 10 o'clock this morning. 

Miss Dixie in her stall begging for treats.

It was a perfect morning for riding.  A little breeze, enough fluffy clouds to block the sun a bit and the humidity was lower than usual.  I got to ride Eclipse (yay!).  After our warm-up, we began the lesson with me trying to back Eclipse around a bend made with poles.  Let's just say that when he hit the poles, Eclipse was convinced that he could not do anymore backing in that spot.  So, we went in the open and worked on it.  It was tougher than I thought - I wasn't giving clear signals I guess.  I was leaning back but not enough and Eclipse has a tough mouth (he is a lesson horse after all) and I had to pull much harder than I liked.  All this and giving a cue to move over with my leg - and he was definitely rusty assuming he has ever had to do this before.  After we got some nice backs with turns, we went onto more fun stuff.  Today was mostly focusing on controlling my position and using better/more consistent leg aids while keeping the horse trotting through tight turns.  Phew, it was a little tough.  Marie set up some barrels to ride between, then put three poles splaying out from one of the barrels.  I was supposed to trot between the barrels, then curve and trot the poles and back through the barrels.  Slowing Eclipse down while still trotting and watching where we were going (not where we are!) and not leaning, whew.  It was ugly at first, but we got the hang of it.  Then Marie set up some jumps.  Jumping is ridiculously fun when you're riding a good horse.  Posting trot around the arena, two-point over the jumps, and do the barrels again when we came to them. 

Barrel obstacle on the far left
 
On our first round, we did barrels first, circling right around the arena.  On the first jump, I didn't lean forward enough on my two-point - and when Eclipse's butt went up over the jump, the saddle hit me in the butt and almost threw me over his right shoulder.  A year ago, this would have scared me, but not today.  I pressed on and we completed the course.  We did several rounds, and on the last round, Eclipse broke into a canter after the last jump.  No worries, just sit and ask for a trot.  Wow - I have only cantered a few times but again, no fear even with an unexpected canter.  I may be getting slightly comfortable with my mad riding skillz.  Well, at least while riding a fairly predictable and ridiculously calm horse in an arena.  I'll probably never be one of those people that loves to ride the fire-breathing dragon horses, but that's ok with me. 
 
So, onto the plans.  There is supposed to be a network of trails across the street (south) from the stables - but it appears to be very overgrown.  If I lease Eclipse, we will be exploring this area for sure.  To the west of the stables is a golf course/private housing development thing.  They appear to have a nice network of golf cart trails but supposedly do not allow horses.  To the east is a fairly busy road of which there are parts with no shoulders, just ditches.  Google maps show some trails or possibly dirt roads to the north, that we should be able to get to if I take this road.  Hmm, I may have to scout all this out via vehicles and feet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment