Thursday, August 8, 2013

Goals

Figured it'd be a good idea to actually type my goals out so I can check them later - and hopefully see some progress! 

First, I need to become a proficient rider at all gaits.  In order to progress faster, I need to go up to at least twice a week lessons.  This is not possible right this second, due to budget constraints.  In a few months maybe.  In the meantime, I'm doing what I can to cut costs in other areas, as well as looking at getting a weekend job.  When the kids head back to school, I will probably look for a job during the week.  I guess I need to state that I'm currently a stay-at-home mom.  There are multiple reasons for this but the two biggest: when my husband and I were both working, it was nearly impossible for us to put our kids first - no boss wants to hear that your kids are sick or have doctor's appts or a school activity.  The second is so my husband can work on his career.  His job always had to come second to mine while I was in the Air Force.  When/if I do start working, it will be part-time and I will tell my boss to shove it if they try to make me choose between my kids and my job.  If that makes me a liability or a bad employee, so be it. 

In a year or so, when I'm comfortable with my riding abilities, I hope to start looking into leasing a horse.  I will still be taking lessons, and possibly doing some schooling shows as practice.  I am learning low-level dressage and jumping, so that I can both handle obstacles out on the trail and teach/help my future horse collect him/herself when out on the trail.  Hopefully by that time I'll have some horse buddies in this area that will allow me to tag along when they trail ride.

Currently, I have only an hour or so horse time each week - not nearly enough for a fanatic like myself.  I have tried a few different things in order to increase my equine face time.  I volunteered a few times at a local rescue.  They were unorganized and clique-ish, and I spent most of my time there standing around while I waited for the person that was supposed to tell me what needed to be done next.  If half of my time was spent standing around, then they have plenty of help and can do without me.  Next, I posted on the AERC Facebook page that I was willing to help someone in this area - mucking stalls, cleaning tack, crewing for rides.  I even said I did not expect to ride their horses (not good enough yet to even consider it), but I got no bites.  So, I asked Marie if she knew anyone that needed help - turns out that she could use some help with her own (duh!) so I'm heading out there this afternoon. I'm going to help her during a teeth-floating appointment, then bathe her chestnut gelding.  Yay for FREE horse time!

And eventually, I would like to participate in endurance rides with my own horse.  At this point, I would like to get up to 50's, specifically multi-days.  I don't plan to race, but instead just enjoy the countryside and time with my horse (and, hopefully, with my husband).  One day, I'd like to meet some of the folks whose blogs I follow and actually have something in common with them. 

Endurance riding is so much like my childhood dream - to climb onto my horse and ride and ride and ride.  Explore all the little side roads and trails (and properties with No Trespassing signs :D ), go to sleep and start it all again the next day.  I crave a deep bond with a horse, from all of our time spent together.  Bernice Ende is doing this right now - just riding and camping with her horses and dog.  She's been riding since 2005, and has covered 18,000 miles.  Ahhhh, the dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment