Friday, August 29, 2014

Just what I needed

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty bummed after yesterday's lesson. But, Ruby has never shown any signs of back soreness and I've never been as unbalanced on her as I was on Rita so I decided to go for a ride today.

First, I pulled out and checked the foam in the body of the saddle.  The foam looks to still be in very good shape from what I can tell, but it can't hurt to replace it.  I haven't heard back on whether the saddlery can change my rigging, or even if they think it might help the issue.  I'm still considering a crupper.

We went to Tenoroc for a short ride.  The original plan was to ride the north loop, which is only 3.5 miles long.  The problem is that I have only ridden part of the loop once, and we followed it back to the trailer - we didn't start out on it.  So, I took a wrong turn.  It was a nice trail, with small hills and turns on the trail.  About 1/2 mile out, I saw a black lump on the trail as we were about to come around one of those turns.  It looked to be 2-2.5 feet tall.  I stopped Ruby behind a tree while I tried to determine if it was a hog or a small black bear.   It was a lone hog so I started calling out to it and it eventually moved off the trail.  About a half mile later another, smaller hog came out onto the trail.  Again, I started calling (Hey, hog! Hey, hog!).  Yes, I probably sounded dumb but seriously, these hogs seemed completely oblivious to the fact that Ruby and I were even there.  When they did see us, they thought about whether or not to give way before they actually did. The last hog stood her ground, then grunted at her piglets and took off across the trail.  Ruby liked that the hogs ran from her, lol.  It definitely gave her a confidence boost.  It wasn't much longer until we came to a trail marker, and a dead end.  It was so weird - the trail marker was a horse and '1 Mile', and then a tiny clearing with no trail....Whatever.  We turned around and called it a day.  I didn't want to ride too long because I'm now paranoid about how I ride and it was screaming hot.

When we got back to the trailer, I stripped her tack then brought out her beet pulp/hay cubes mash.  She does not like beet pulp alone, grrr.  We didn't ride long enough for her to need a mash when she'd been noshing on hay all morning, but I'd like to have a way to get water into her when she won't drink after a hot ride - I'm glad she'll eat this, picky mare!

Ruby approves.




She loaded onto the trailer with no issue.  We rode only 2.6 miles at 3.9 mph but it was worth it to get my head back on straight.  I'm going to do what I can to fix myself but I'm not going to stop riding in the meantime.

Easyboot update: they came earlier this week and we tried them on Wednesday.  I should have recorded her first few steps - she was, let's say, unsure of this new pony torture device.  They seemed to fit ok except there was gapping at the top of the boots.  I lunged her and they stayed on through sand, even when cantering.  I rode a bit down the road and they were ok but I'll need to watch the fitting videos and possibly order a fit kit to be sure.

Looks like we need power straps
I'm still looking for some used Renegades. 



3 comments:

  1. Lily is the same with her beet pulp: I need to add Senior to it so she'll eat it. I hope the Gloves work! They should be hard to get on; I have to tap mine with a hammer to get them properly seated on the hoof, but they aren't impossible. They do stretch a bit over time. And I've had the same issue with the gaiter gaping somewhat though it doesn't seem to compromise the ability of the boot to stay on.

    Mel usually has a decent selection of used Renegades on hand. She's happy to take them back if they don't fit and if you send her photos and measurements she can help you figure out size. She was a huge help when I decided to go with Rennies. Another beautiful thing about the company: they have a fit guarantee! If the boots don't fit, even brand new boots, they WILL take them back (even if you've been riding in them) and help you figure out size. Have you checked the Renegade FB page also? You may know all of this already; I'm just passing the information along bc I didn't know any of this when I decided to go with Renegades. :) They're pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add the link to Mel's used boot inventory! Here it is: http://bootsandsaddles4mel.com/resources/Current-boot-inventory.pdf

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info, Saiph. I'll email her later this week :)

    ReplyDelete