Thursday, June 19, 2014

Slacker!

At least when it comes to blogging (and homework).  Heather has been out of town, so I've been feeding the horses, turning them out and cleaning a few stalls in the morning.  I've also had no one to go trail riding with, so Ruby and I have been spending a lot of time in the arena.  I'm pleased to report that her arena-attitude is pretty much gone and she's trotting for longer periods, with some steering!  Oh, and in a snaffle bit.  Today was particularly tortuous....

First we did a few stretches.  She had no idea what I was doing, but she tried.  We started out on the lunge line in the small arena.  After she was warmed up a bit, she trotted three poles in both directions so we went back to the barn to tack up.  Now, generally speaking, when we go back to the barn that means work is over.  Ruby was very perky thinking that she was going to be diving into her hay at any moment.

Instead, I tied her up and brought the saddle out.  I could almost hear her say 'Damn' but she was a good girl and stood stock-still while I saddled her up.  Walked back to the small arena and mounted up.  Yesterday I was getting attitude when trotting to the left, but not so much today so I have no idea what was bugging her.  After a while, we walked over the poles a few times, then I decided to see how she would react to trotting over them.  Poor Ruby, she really tried for me but at the last minute lost her confidence and dropped to a walk.  That's ok, we'll just keep practicing.

After thirty minutes or so, I hopped down to open the arena gate, mounted up and rode to the larger arena.  She's never ridden in this arena alone before but she did well.  More circles, more transitions.  She's learning to leg-yield on these circles - progress!

Finally, I decided to ride her down the road a bit.  I have taken her for walks down the road, and ridden down the road with Heather, but I've never ridden her off property by herself before.  We rode down the road a bit, turned around and rode back past the gate a bit and did it again.  When riding by the gate, she would try to scoot over to it but there were no freak-outs or melt-downs.  For a first time, especially considering how little confidence she has, I think she did fabulously.  I'm going to try to make this a regular part of our routine.

Oh, and one more little tidbit.  Ruby does not like taking a bit.  The first time I tried to get her to accept a bit, it took me 45 minutes or so to get her to take it (yes, I had her teeth done before this because I'd seen Jenny try to bridle her once).  Today when I was removing the bridle, something caught it on the other side of her face.  I think the full-cheek snagged on the halter.  Anyway, Ruby went to pull her head away, then realized that she was still tied.  She got that crazy look in her eye and started to really pull back but stopped when I said 'easy'.  Made my day that she trusts me that much :D

I'm on pins and needles waiting for my Evolution bridle from Moss Rock Endurance. Hopefully it will arrive sometime next month, but I won't be surprised if it takes until August or longer.  Patience is not my strong suit!  In the meantime, I found another great blog to read: Wait for the Jump.


No comments:

Post a Comment