Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Another Five Miles Down

And another great ride.  Heather and I went back to Lower Green Swamp to ride this morning.  It took about 15 minutes for Ruby to settle into it (in her defense, a deer DID try to eat her last time and there were deer tracks everywhere this morning), but then she was all business.  We started out circling back to Candy when she'd fall behind but Ruby really has no patience for that (WHY are we turning around, just to turn back around???) so instead, she got to graze when it was time to wait.  On our way out, we took the bridge so on the way back I wanted to try the creek.  But...we had a ton of rain the other day so it was much higher and faster.  Instead, I figured I'd take her down to the edge to see if she wanted a drink...but Ruby had other ideas.  She waded into the water and decided to cross.  There were submerged logs so instead of turning her around, I just picked my feet up (it was horse-belly deep!) and let her go.  It was great, getting splashed and knowing that this mare who wouldn't step in a puddle a few weeks ago will now cross small rivers if she thinks that's what I want. 

On our way back, we did a teeny bit of trotting - the fanny pack and trotting do not get along so I'll be looking to buy or configure some kind of saddle bag for my water and other goodies.  Oh, and I should also probably get one of those 'life-proof' cases for my phone...for a minute, I thought the creek was deep enough that Ruby was going to have to swim!

Strava data: 5.1 miles, 1:28 moving time, average pace 3.4 mph...but it also says that our fastest speed was 18.6 mph and that was halfway through the ride - no way.  I plan to keep using Strava, but just for average speed and time, which I may have to verify by other means.  We'll see: https://www.strava.com/activities/122079205

No comments:

Post a Comment