Tuesday, November 10, 2015

New 'dos

One for Ruby.  I finally bit the bullet and roached her mane.  She grows a rather scraggly mane anyway, and she HATES when I have to brush through tangles.  Tail tangles are no big deal, but working through mane tangles, even very carefully, aggravates this redheaded mare. 

I'm a bad blogger - this is the best pic I have of Ruby's roached mane. 
And one for me.

I think I'll let it get a little longer, then maintain.  Long enough to cover the ears maybe?
My hair has never been this short...ever. 

Last Saturday.  Notice the lather - it was HOT!
In other news, the picture above shows mine and Ruby's first time back on the trails.  My hubby arranged to take me horse camping for my birthday, Candy as his steed, but truck problems caused a change of plans.  Instead we went to Tenoroc, and rode the short 3.5 mile loop.  It worked out for the best though, because neither Candy nor Ruby have been off-property in months and both were in raging heat and my hubby is an inexperienced rider - riding them on trails both they and I knew made me feel better about the situation.  After an exciting first half-mile, the girls found their stride.  Ruby was much slower than she used to be - could be because she's out of shape, she was walking slower for Candy, or she just wasn't feeling it?  On this loop there are a few small hills - to me, these hills were a test, of sorts.  When Ruby got hurt last year, on this same loop, she had a very hard time walking up the hills.  Down was fine, while going up was obviously painful.  On Saturday she powered right up the hills, which was a huge relief. 

Unfortunately, getting back on the trails regularly will have to wait until we get the truck fixed.  I hope to have more trail stories soon. 

3 comments:

  1. Love the looks on both of you!! :D So happy you're out and about on the trails on your girl again, and I hope you can get the truck fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicki! I don't hate the hair cut this morning (I got it cut just yesterday), so that's a bonus. As for the truck, I am lucky enough that my husband is very handy, especially when it comes to vehicles, so it's just a matter of him having the time to fix it. He said it's going to take hours - we're leaking some coolant from the water pump, which is apparently a pain to get to.

      Delete
  2. Good luck! As no stranger to truck problems myself I feel your pain. I'm glad Ruby is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete