Monday, September 8, 2014

Cranky mare and cantering

So, it probably wasn't a good idea but we did it anyways.  While warming up, Ruby wasn't exactly throwing a fit but she was making her opinion known: she hates (my kind of) arena work.  But, other than a mare with a piss-poor attitude, it was the perfect day to try.  It was nearly cool at 73 degrees, the ground was soft but not muddy, and Heather was there to be my spotter. After warming up for 15-20 minutes I called Heather over, took a deep breath and started Ruby trotting on a huge circle to the left.

I gave her the usual canter cues, to which she didn't respond so I started kissing, clucking, and squeezing to ask her to move out faster.  I knew the mare could trot fast, but wow, we were zooming around that little arena.  It took several circles (and several minutes of screaming thigh muscles) before Ruby finally tried to canter for me.  She took three strides, and just as I was about to ask her to come back to a trot, pissy mare threw in a buck.  A real, honest-to-goodness, head down, hind feet two feet off the ground buck - I couldn't believe it.  We did a one-rein stop (while I grumbled and yelled and told her what a terrible horse she was) and immediately went back into speedy-trot in an attempt to get another few canter strides.   We did several more circles at warp speed before I decided we both needed a walk break.  Then we tried to the right.  It only took a circle or two before she cantered for me.  Three strides, no buck, success.  I asked her to halt, hopped off, and walked her back to the barn.

I have no idea if Ruby's ever been asked to canter, but I do know that trot is her preferred gait.  Her buck was definitely not one of those 'I'm so happy' bucks but she also wasn't trying to dump me - she was voicing her opinion.  It's been a while since we did any consistent round pen work, so I'll be incorporating more round pen before asking again for a canter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment